Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

ncrunch from commandline
floekke
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:33:36 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Is it possible to run ncrunch from the command line?

I would like to use it as part of a msbuild script.
willdean
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:40:18 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
What test framework are you using? I always just use the framework's (normally nUnit, I'm just so dull and old fashioned) test runner during automated builds.

To me, nCrunch is all about the integration with VS, and the automatic build/run process, none of which seems relevant during an automated build. What aspect of nCrunch were you wanting to use during the build?

Remco
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:58:56 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
At the moment, it isn't possible to run NCrunch from the command line. I do, however, understand the motive behind this. As there are differences between NCrunch's test environment and that of a standard test runner, it is desirable to be able to ensure code is NCrunch-compliant as part of a continuous integration process. This could be useful for teams where not all members are making use of NCrunch.

Unfortunately, NCrunch itself is designed to be fully continuous. The architecture of a continuous test runner vs a serial test runner is very, very different. Attempts have been made to produce a console variant but so far none of these have resulted in anything reliable enough to be used for a continuous integration process or build server. There is still the possibility of this area being explored more in future.
Andrey
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 1:23:35 PM(UTC)

Remco;4785 wrote:
At the moment, it isn't possible to run NCrunch from the command line. I do, however, understand the motive behind this. As there are differences between NCrunch's test environment and that of a standard test runner, it is desirable to be able to ensure code is NCrunch-compliant as part of a continuous integration process. This could be useful for teams where not all members are making use of NCrunch.

Unfortunately, NCrunch itself is designed to be fully continuous. The architecture of a continuous test runner vs a serial test runner is very, very different. Attempts have been made to produce a console variant but so far none of these have resulted in anything reliable enough to be used for a continuous integration process or build server. There is still the possibility of this area being explored more in future.

If you have a test runner that can execute tests across multiple nodes (V2) then it could be very helpful outside NCrunch itself - for example it would be possible to speed up tests running in TeamCity.
Remco
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 10:31:43 PM(UTC)

Andrey;5443 wrote:
If you have a test runner that can execute tests across multiple nodes (V2) then it could be very helpful outside NCrunch itself - for example it would be possible to speed up tests running in TeamCity.

Yes - definitely. The distributed and parallel execution features could massively decrease build times on a continuous integration server. The value of this is without question.
Andrey
#6 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 7:44:05 AM(UTC)

Remco;5447 wrote:
Yes - definitely. The distributed and parallel execution features could massively decrease build times on a continuous integration server. The value of this is without question.

Any plans for making it a detachable feature?
Remco
#7 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 7:49:40 AM(UTC)

Nothing I can commit to at the moment, but it will probably happen in future.
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
penguat on 3/27/2014(UTC)
penguat
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 3:20:52 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If we could use NCrunch to speed up builds as well as continuous testing, I think that would be all I required to persuade my company to set up an NCrunch cluster for running the tests.
Remco
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:27:36 PM(UTC)

Hi, thanks for posting. I recommend voting for this feature at https://ncrunch.uservoice.com.
albertomonteiro
#10 Posted : Friday, May 23, 2014 5:41:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I would like to retrive code coverage from ncrunch using command line, is it possible?
Remco
#11 Posted : Friday, May 23, 2014 9:50:06 PM(UTC)

Not at the moment. There is a feature request for this that you're welcome to vote for though - http://ncrunch.uservoice.com/forums/245203-feature-requests/suggestions/5749303-standalone-executable-version-for-builds-etc.