Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2.2.0.1 Grid build on projects with reference to System.EnterpriseServices.dll
pbering
#1 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 2:30:46 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I get this error whenever I build a project with a reference to System.EnterpriseServices.dll - Is there any workaround besides removing the reference? The version of NCrunch right before 2.2.0.1 did not have this problem.

NCrunch: The build results for this project are not consistent across all computers within the grid.

This project was successfully built on computers: (local)
This project failed to build on computers: DK-NCRUNCH

Relevant tests will continue to run on computers that are able to build this project successfully. Please ensure all computers within the grid are configured correctly with all required SDKs installed.

****************** BUILD OUTPUT FROM '(local)' ******************

****************** BUILD OUTPUT FROM 'DK-NCRUNCH' ******************

CSC (0)#0: Metadata file 'c:\NCrunch Grid Node\5012\142\_ncrunchreferences\System.EnterpriseServices.dll' could not be opened -- 'Error importing module 'System.EnterpriseServices.Wrapper.dll' of assembly 'c:\NCrunch Grid Node\5012\142\_ncrunchreferences\System.EnterpriseServices.dll' -- The system cannot find the file specified. '

Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 11:12:15 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for sharing this issue and submitting the bug report.

I'm in the process of looking at this problem at the moment, as it's also been reported by others.

Is your solution hosted on a drive other than C:\ ? If so, does moving it to C:\ make any difference here?

Also, where is the System.EnterpriseServices.dll installed/referenced on your machine? Can you confirm whether this is being pulled from the GAC? (i.e. under C:\Windows).

Thanks!

Remco
pbering
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2013 11:32:15 AM(UTC)

Hi, when I was about to answer your questions on another machine I had to update NCrunch to match the version on the grid node and found that I was not running latest version 2.2.0.2 so I updated my grid node and machines to match. The issue is now gone on both machines! When was 2.2.0.2 released?
Remco
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2013 11:44:10 AM(UTC)

Wow, I'm really sorry about that. 2.2.0.2 was released about 12 hours after the 2.2.0.1 build went out. A user reported a file mapping issue with 2.2.0.1 so a new revision was put up to solve specifically this problem. It was a very small change and not enough to warrant all the attention of a whole release... so the notification mechanisms kind of fell down there :/

I'm glad this solved the problem you had. There's been a few very similar seeming problems in this area, so please accept my apologies for the confusion. Things should start move smoother going into the new year with this sort of thing as the beta builds mature and stabilise, so there won't be a need for such frequent releases.
Owain
#5 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 10:26:36 AM(UTC)

I've just upgraded from version 1.48.0.5 to 2.4.0.2 and am experiencing this issue.

The error message I receive is:

CSC (0)#0: Metadata file 'c:\Users\owilliams\AppData\Local\NCrunch\6476\21\_ncrunchreferences\System.EnterpriseServices.dll' could not be opened -- 'Error importing module 'System.EnterpriseServices.Wrapper.dll' of assembly 'c:\Users\owilliams\AppData\Local\NCrunch\6476\21\_ncrunchreferences\System.EnterpriseServices.dll' -- The system cannot find the file specified. '

I'm using Visual Studio 2013, my solution is referencing System.EnterpriseServices.dll from the C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.5 folder, as is the case for all my other System components (e.g. System.dll, System.Core.dll, System.Data.dll, System.Web.dll, etc.).

My solution compiles when I build it via the Visual Studio Build Solution menu item.
Remco
#6 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 10:54:41 AM(UTC)

Hi, thanks for reporting this issue.

NCrunch should normally consider assemblies underneath 'Program Files' to be reference libraries that don't need to be copied to the workspace. So the big question here is why the NCrunch build believes the file should be inside the workspace.

Would you be able to help by following these steps?

1. Find the declaration in your project XML where the reference to System.EnterpriseServices.dll is declared, and share it here on this forum (or send via the contact form if you prefer this).
2. Open up the solution, let NCrunch run until it stops entirely (with the error showing)
3. Find the failed project in the Tests Window. Right click on it, then choose to 'Reload and rebuild'.
4. Wait until NCrunch bugs out again.
5. Submit a bug report through the 'NCrunch->Submit Bug report' menu
Owain
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:49:11 AM(UTC)

Apologies for not replying sooner, I had not subscribed to the topic in the forum and therefore hadn't seen your reply.

Previously I had reverted to version 1.48.0.5 where the problem didn't manifest, therefore wasn't prompted to investigate further until attempting the upgrade again.

Today I did that, to version 2.7.0.3, and the same issue is happening. However, you may be interested to know it may not be a problem for us after all, as it turns out we're not using System.EnterpriseServices.dll at all, we're just referencing it!

Removing the reference sorts everything out. Maybe this is the cause of the problem in the first place?!

Nevertheless, I have submitted a bug report in case it's something more sinister. Below is the line from the .csproj that references System.EnterpriseServices:

Code:
    <Reference Include="System.EnterpriseServices" />

As you can see, it doesn't include any reference to a specific version, culture or PublicKeyToken.
Remco
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:46:14 PM(UTC)

Thanks for coming back to me on this one. As the problem for you is now resolved, I'd rather not take too much if your time delving into why this was failing. MSBuild is a complex beast and it can often be very hard to understand without being able to look at a problem directly and trying different things to solve it.

However, there is something that looks quite out of place in the log file you sent through. I've noticed that NCrunch seems to be copying ALL the reference assemblies under 'Program Files(x86)' into the _ncrunchreferences directory. This is something that it shouldn't do. I'd really like to have another look at a log file from your NCrunch, one that captures the initial load of the projects in your solution. Would you be able to send me through a bug report right after NCrunch has finished it's loading of projects, but before it starts running builds? This would basically involve just hitting the 'submit bug report' option as soon as you see the spinner disappear from the tests window after you've reset the engine.
ThierryM
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:05:27 PM(UTC)

Hi,

I'm facing the same issue with NCrunch 2.5.0.12.
I'm not able to activate NCrunch because the build fail on a project due to this error :

NCrunch: If you are experiencing problems in getting this project to build, have a look at http://www.ncrunch.net/d...ng_project-build-issues
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\Windows Workflow Foundation\v3.0\Workflow.Targets: Metadata file 'c:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\NCrunch\5904\106\_ncrunchreferences\System.EnterpriseServices.dll' could not be opened -- 'Error importing module 'System.EnterpriseServices.Wrapper.dll' of assembly 'c:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\NCrunch\5904\106\_ncrunchreferences\System.EnterpriseServices.dll' -- The system cannot find the file specified. '

PS: I've just downloaded version 2.7.0.5 and the same issue remains...

Could you help me please ?
Regards,
Thierry
Remco
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:31:08 PM(UTC)

Hi Thierry,

This issue currently stands as unresolved as I've been unable to obtain enough information to be able to recreate it. Would you have any luck in producing a test solution that can surface the issue? If so, can you submit it via the contact form?
ThierryM
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:39:44 PM(UTC)

I'm really sorry but we have high security policy that don't allow me to send any source code (bank society).
We have solve the problem by removing the System.EnterpriseServices reference (which were not used).

I have tried to create a new solution including this reference but NCrunch build correctly the project.
Remco
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:42:08 PM(UTC)

Thanks, I understand. Is there any chance you remember which project template was used to create the project? This seems to be a consistent pattern for people that experience this problem. I think it may be related to one of the VS project templates.