Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Non friendly error upon missing net 4.5 (?)
GreenMoose
#1 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2014 5:33:53 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 64 post(s)
I installed NCrunch grid on a remote server and it seemed fine until starting building when it suddenly became disconnected (and service died).

Noticed below logs from event viewer:
Quote:

---

.NET Runtime version : 4.0.30319.17929 - This application could not be started.This application requires one of the following versions of the .NET Framework:
.NETFramework,Version=v4.5.1

Do you want to install this .NET Framework version now?

--

Application: NCrunch.GridNode.Service.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
Stack:
at nCrunch.TaskRunner.Ipc.Fast.FastIpcClient.Dispose()
at nCrunch.Core.ProcessManagement.ExternalProcessManager.#=qFtzSLd$GPftZI3QjTRbGUpPjkgfyBwspD2wZwIkuXB4=(nCrunch.Core.ProcessManagement.ExternalProcess)
at nCrunch.Core.ProcessManagement.ExternalProcessManager.#=qoSvgYzePoXNmfFI$G5pjVQ==(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.RaiseOnExited()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitOrTimerCallback.PerformWaitOrTimerCallback(System.Object, Boolean)

---

Faulting application name: NCrunch.GridNode.Service.exe, version: 2.4.0.2, time stamp: 0x52eb0824
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000007fe8dfa5d44
Faulting process id: 0x13a8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf2429bd1325bc
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Remco Software\NCrunch Grid Node Server\NCrunch.GridNode.Service.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 6e5eae59-901d-11e3-8aff-005056b437ec
Remco
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:40:33 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
Yes - this would be because NCrunch doesn't have a .NET 4.5 task runner at the moment. I had thought that the 4.5.1 one was compatible with machines that didn't have 4.5.1 installed, but this has turned out to be untrue. The simple workaround (which you've no doubt discovered) is to install v4.5.1 of the .NET framework.

This also affects client machines that are running VS2012 and are testing v4.5 code without v4.5.1 installed. I'm expecting to introduce a fix in the next minor version of NCrunch. Sorry for the trouble.
CManners
#3 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 4:55:32 PM(UTC)

I'm experiencing a similar issue... I have three grid nodes running version 2.4.2. One of the grid nodes, after working flawlessly for a few weeks started getting the same errors that were reported by GreenMoose.

I have tried...
- restarting the grid node
- repairing the .NET 4.5.1 install
- recreating the connection to the grid node
- removing the existing snapshots
- tried running the grid node service with different credentials
- banging my head on the keyboard

I don't know how to resolve this.
Remco
#4 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 11:21:56 PM(UTC)

CManners
#5 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 9:09:04 PM(UTC)

Well, I installed version 2.5.12, and the errors went away. Unfortunately, they were replaced by two new errors...

System.InvalidOperationException: No process is associated with this object.
at System.Diagnostics.Process.EnsureState(State state)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.EnsureState(State state)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.get_Id()
at nCrunch.Core.ProcessManagement.ExternalProcessManager.#=qwKx9UTZfNu4eo8cyEwxm2iOBqTWlEPKzR2jfSsoXgd4=(ExternalProcess #=qfZVyazCm0UXMZjLYldJK9w6YprGY4CU_VMWgrbstMp0=)
at nCrunch.Core.ProcessManagement.ExternalProcessManager.#=qhE0D27jwTh_bBa$ZyNAu7Q==(ProcessorArchitecture #=qcbgIqBCZV82zz1kScvYzLg$ao0g0hfWwBfzquqI6Gnw=, Nullable`1 #=qNYMmme4EoyKeaypOhGAFGXTw3dp4x1k4twttiDI49oo=, Type #=qIRQwTvF5bh$xF1JwMeSVig==, DirectoryPath #=qd7vDe__gMs$dA8PIrEXkeorL9mld002GkSq26NbZXXM=, FilePath #=qV82A8UoaPcjsMqrAjUw_bQ==, FilePath #=qFZjFsnimCXA6DCWiTDb6m3AjlUpThMDpZ0Rd5QPD29o=, Boolean #=qhsM_SDj1ErAzd7UtpZyGLxEP9vNMz5yS54AeO7NpVTs=, Boolean #=qnEvvLC78oy9p9criQQbVtrsj87pIEZsgLbYYDeKwg9o=, String #=qXzkCR1JMEw1OYqKTFxitKg==, IDictionary`2 #=qrp_ZujbCKEmiJPgoEjpxPck7J9u28fIRqxA_kG9_OLg=, IProcessLoader #=qaJoNgaiYJw$NC72hD5DVfw==)
at nCrunch.Core.ProcessManagement.ExternalProcessManager.LoadExternalProcess(ProcessLoadParameters parameters, GridClientId client)
at nCrunch.Core.BuildManagement.BuildProcessLauncher.#=qKKrZkT6V0PJP_1tCv$n$iS6e7xqz3tI5cgL4hBXx6jVZoZDQ$VGUt8GK4q9Gd41I(Action`1 #=qzjbGNSs0qF_I4$s0T0icbw==, ProcessorArchitecture #=qRBrPn1BSCfWNHUqaQyBvDwmziA_T7n32K2zLtbzzMbA=, GridClientId #=qkRPlP398aQ3goZ9dLMTDmQ==, IBuildableProject #=qWX1NsbZzag_vkkukM5tiEgKMHfItTVyGItgx$M2f7ro=, CustomEnvironmentVariable[] #=qCh9FbQxTfUpbXzMAV5RSg49y7fqC_Jk1usFES0DYJB0=)
at nCrunch.Core.BuildManagement.BuildProcessLauncher.BuildComponentInExternalProcess(ComponentBuildParameters parameters, ProcessorArchitecture processorArchitecture, VisualStudioVersion vsVersion, GridClientId client, CustomEnvironmentVariable[] customEnvironmentVariables)
at nCrunch.Core.BuildManagement.BuildEnvironment.Build(SnapshotComponent snapshotComponentToBuild, IList`1 referencedComponents, GridClientId gridClientId, CustomEnvironmentVariable[] customEnvironmentVariables)
at nCrunch.Core.Processing.BuildTaskLogic.DoProcessTaskAndReturnSuccessFlag()
at nCrunch.Core.Processing.TaskLogic.ProcessTaskAndReturnSuccessFlag()
at nCrunch.GridNode.NodeTaskProcessor.#=qma68oYjPTUKJjuZ5G5Ccis1kGhNe$AZP_nfv3GSijhg=.#=q2XKgKXNsGmbzK9IM7qoeWDxzMUzBc6U4XHUlIPfS$tg=.#=qyBksZjtAbhwTEvE$KFIAR2PPSXpUsEKT4vrVCx0rqCk=()
at nCrunch.Common.ErrorHandler.DoWithErrorHandling(Action action, Object context)

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at nCrunch.Core.Processing.BuildTaskLogic.CompleteProcessing(Boolean processingSuccessful)
at nCrunch.GridNode.NodeTaskProcessor.#=qma68oYjPTUKJjuZ5G5Ccis1kGhNe$AZP_nfv3GSijhg=.#=q2XKgKXNsGmbzK9IM7qoeWDxzMUzBc6U4XHUlIPfS$tg=.#=qFdnDO_76_IcE7VUNzyNXAYHy00ZTNH67quwPs135GqM=()
at nCrunch.Common.QueuedActionHandler.#=qJ$x2e2UDXa_G2DJSABfw4g==(#=qKDQz1sDtHErQpb0Wn8QXcJ7g3M19R0vu6O72iJ5Le2U= #=qHEnqUVU29btm7G5_SKI2AA==)
Remco
#6 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 9:28:07 PM(UTC)

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about this. Does this problem show up consistently? Are you able to run any tests within this solution?

If you set up a dummy test solution containing a v4.5 test project, does the problem appear? What if you change the .NET framework version to v4.0?

Do you see any interesting errors in your system/application event log?

If you browse to grid node installation directory then try running nCrunch.TaskRunner45.x86.exe directly .. what is the result that you get?
CManners
#7 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 10:59:08 PM(UTC)

• Does this problem show up consistently? Yes
  • Are you able to run any tests within this solution? No; the solution won't even build.
  • If you set up a dummy test solution containing a v4.5 test project, does the problem appear? Yes.
  • What if you change the .NET framework version to v4.0? Still works in the dummy test solution.
  • Do you see any interesting errors in your system/application event log? From the event log...
    Quote:
    Log Name: System
    Source: Service Control Manager
    Date: 2014-03-03 2:05:51 PM
    Event ID: 7022
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: CPUG065.aglc.goa.ds
    Description:
    The NCrunch Grid Node Service service hung on starting.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="(- BROKEN LINK -)">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7022</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-03-03T21:05:51.637635100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>219028</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="552" ThreadID="556" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>CPUG065.aglc.goa.ds</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">NCrunch Grid Node Service</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

• If you browse to grid node installation directory then try running nCrunch.TaskRunner45.x86.exe directly .. what is the result that you get? Restarted the box, since it's slow, and the service didn't start when the box came back up. Started the service and the grid node is working. Perhaps the box is just doing too much stuff on start-up and timing-out... I'll switch the service to 'Automatic (Delayed Start)' and see what happens... Seems to be working.[/b]

I got really confused when doing this... I rebooted the box a couple times while looking at this and if it was simply a time-out issue maybe some of the things that worked above wouldn't work if I rebooted again. I don't know... I'm leaving the "Delayed Start" on the service and I'll let you know if it stops working.
Remco
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 1:16:04 AM(UTC)

The one has me a bit stumped at the moment. At first I thought this might be related to the new TaskRunner somehow, although based on the analysis you've just given I agree that it seems more like something else much less consistent. Initialisation problems with the TaskRunners are not unheard of in NCrunch, and there is error handling in place to deal with these sorts of situations .. but the error you've provided above is something very new and it falls through any kind of clean handling.

If this happens for you again, perhaps keep an eye on the resource usage of the node to see if there is any pattern to correlate system overload with this problem. Also check that you don't have any kind of software running that might interfere with a background service launching new EXEs (i.e. virus scanner).

I've done some extra testing on my side to confirm that the new task runner works correctly, and so far I haven't found any problems. Do let me know if you manage to recreate the problem or learn any more about it.