Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Crunch on save and splitter position
JulienL
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:41:14 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I've been evaluating NCrunch for the last few days and that's an amazing product! Great job.

However, I have two issues with it:

First, I would love an option to only start crunching when a file is saved. I have personally no interest in crunching unsaved files: it means my tests aren't complete yet. This option would not only enhance performance by not trying to build unnecessarily, but would also reduce the UI updates on the NCrunch Tests window. I find this window very distracting to the eyes since it's updated on almost every keystroke (but I want to keep it open since it's very useful when I'm done typing). Additionally, it may reduce the small UI lags that are present when using NCrunch.

Second, NCrunch doesn't seem to save the splitter position in the NCrunch Tests window (I have it splitted vertically). Each time Visual Studio starts, I have to adjust the splitter: the grid zone is very small by default and the output one very large. That's a very minor issue though.

Thanks,
--
Julien
Remco
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 11:41:37 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Julien,

Thanks for posting! I'm glad your enjoying NCrunch.

The ability to run tests on save is an often requested feature. I think it will be implemented at some stage. It is, however, a problematic feature to introduce as the engine wasn't designed with this kind of workflow in mind, and there are many different approaches that can be taken .. which makes it difficult to find a consistent solution that will meet everyone's needs. Most likely this will need to be very configurable.

By design, NCrunch should be saving the position of the splitter according to the solution that is open. The value that determines the splitter position is stored in the .ncrunchsolution.user file. Check to make sure that this file is not read-only when you shut down Visual Studio (or disable the engine). Source control systems often tend to lock files by making them read-only. Ideally, the .user file should not be checked into any source control system as its contents are user-specific.
JulienL
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 11:55:00 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the quick response Remco.

I agree that configuration is key for this kind of product: every developer, every team, every project has different needs. It's nice to know it's already on the feature list: I hope it will be implemented in the near future.

My .user files are already excluded from source control, and aren't read-only. The problem appears only when the window is splitted vertically: the splitter is correctly restored to vertical, but isn't positioned to its last size. In horizontal mode, everything works fine.
Remco
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:00:24 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
I've managed to reproduce the issue here now .. something is not right with the splitter distance persistence in vertical mode. I'll see that this gets fixed. Thanks for the report!