Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Possible to Use License on Shared Computer?
cygon
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 11:20:08 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi!

Background: I'm self-employed, but currently spending up to 3 days a week at a client. They've set up a workstation just for me, but from time to time, when office space is tight, it may happen that someone else uses it.

Given the license terms, I understand that I would be allowed to use my NCrunch license on their workstation, too, so long as I can guarantee that nobody else will be accessing NCrunch. Is the license saved per computer or per user? i.e. would I have to remove my license whenever I go home? If so, any way to automate that? (like through a parameter for the upcoming command line version)
Remco
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 11:53:16 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting!

NCrunch's licenses are per user, not per machine. This was intended to make things easier for people that use it on multiple machines (i.e. perhaps you use it at home, and on your work computer). Unfortunately, this does also make things a bit more complicated for hot desking.

The license details stored by NCrunch are stored in your user profile, they aren't machine wide. This means that if you have a different login for the machine to anyone else that uses it, then there shouldn't be any problems for you. Otherwise, you'll need to clear the license after you're finished using the computer. Unfortunately, the upcoming NCrunch.Console tool won't be able to help in this area, as this tool works quite differently with its license details (storing them machine-wide instead of in the user profile).