Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Inconsistencies
SteveEllwood
#1 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2014 11:53:58 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi

I have two solutions that I am using NCrunch with and they seem to be inconsistent and I'm not sure why

The first solution is a legacy one which already had unit tests when Ncrunch was installed on my machine. When I open this solution the tests all show in the NCrunch Tests window but nothing ever shows in the Ncrunch Processing queue, I can live with this but at times it's a little frustrating.

The second project is new and fairly small. It was created after NCrunch was installed. When I open that one nothing at all shows in the NCrunch Tests window (regardless of which icons I click or don't click for test visibility), however in this case the Ncrunch Processing queue shows all the tests as running on local (as I would expect for both solutions).

Apart from this everything appears to run normally. I can't see any settings anywhere which seem to be related to this and so I am rather confused.

regards

steve
Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2014 12:05:03 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting!

The first thing I'd suggest double-checking is to make sure the toolbar filters on the Tests Window and Processing Queue Window are not set to hide items from the window. These settings are stored in the ncrunch user files that are specific to the solution, so it could make sense that changing the solution would make a difference here.

The next thing to check for is whether or not something is going wrong inside NCrunch itself. Data related issues such as this would usually show up as exceptions in the log. If you go to your global configuration, then turn on the 'Log to output window', then try opening one of the solutions you are having problems with (and make the troublesome tool window visible), you may see something inside the NCrunch VS output window that could help identify the problem.

Cheers,

Remco
SteveEllwood
#3 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2014 2:26:36 PM(UTC)

Hi Remco

Thanks for your prompt response.

For the toolbar filters I've tried pretty much every combination there is.

I've changed the output as you suggested however there is an awful lot, are you aware of anything in particular I should be looking for?
The only things I have spotted so far are messages such as -

Task "Error" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(_InvalidConfigurationError)' == 'true' ) was evaluated as ( '' == 'true').
Task "Warning" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(_InvalidConfigurationWarning)' == 'true' ) was evaluated as ( '' =='true' ).
Using "Message" task from assembly "Microsoft.Build.Tasks.v4.0, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a".
Configuration=Debug
Platform=AnyCPU
Task "Error" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(OutDir)' != '' and !HasTrailingSlash('$(OutDir)')) was evaluated as ('bin\' != '' and !HasTrailingSlash('bin\')).
Task "Error" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(BaseIntermediateOutputPath)' != '' and !HasTrailingSlash('$(BaseIntermediateOutputPath)')) was evaluated as ('obj\' != '' and !HasTrailingSlash('obj\')).
Task "Error" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(IntermediateOutputPath)' != '' and !HasTrailingSlash('$(IntermediateOutputPath)')) was evaluated as ('obj\Debug\' != '' and !HasTrailingSlash('obj\Debug\')).

Just to throw further confusion into the mix, I created a completely new solution using a servicestack template I have installed and that works as expected ie the tests show in both the tests window and the processing queue window

regards

steve
SteveEllwood
#4 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2014 2:42:28 PM(UTC)

Hi Remco

I've been playing around and I think I have discovered a clue.

I use Visual Studio 2012 Premium Edition but I also have SQL Server Data Tools for Visual Studio 2012 installed. This uses the same command line as Visual Studio but it has the switch /command Report NoOp

For the second project in my original report, if I open it using the Data Tools I get the symptoms I mentioned. If I open it using the normal Visual Studio it works as expected ie both windows work.

With the first project it doesn't seem to matter which I use (the processing queue never shows) but I'm not too concerned about that, at least until I get distributed processing setup.

thanks

Steve
Remco
#5 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2014 10:54:11 PM(UTC)

Thanks Steve. Would you be able to try opening up your VS instance with the Data Tools loaded, open the tests window, then submit an NCrunch bug report? This may help me to dig up some more information about why this is behaving so strangely.

Cheers,

Remco
SteveEllwood
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 14, 2014 10:24:35 AM(UTC)

Hi Remco,

Just to prove me a liar, the second project has now started working normally, though I'm not sure what has changed other than installing node.js tools.

I will therefore submit a bug report for the first of my solutions which has never shown the processing queue and still doesn't regardless of whether I am using data tools or not.

thanks

steve
Remco
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 14, 2014 9:05:41 PM(UTC)

Thanks Steve. Unfortunately it looks like the bug reporter had trouble uploading the log file. Is there any way you could save the report to disk and upload it via the contact form? Sorry for the trouble.

Cheers,

Remco