Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

NullReferenceException on GridNode Server
GibSral
#1 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2014 3:54:48 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi,

i have the following issue when NCrunch connects to the GrideNode Server.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at nCrunch.GridNode.NodeSnapshotManager.(IList`1 )
at nCrunch.GridNode.NodeSnapshotManager.AlignSnapshotWithNode(ISnapshot snapshot, GridAddress clientAddress)
at nCrunch.GridNode.NodeSnapshot..ctor(Snapshot snapshot, GridAddress clientAddress, GridClientId clientId)
at nCrunch.GridNode.ServerNode..()
at nCrunch.Common.ErrorHandler.DoWithErrorHandling(Action action, Object context)

It runs on a Windows 7 machine.

I restarted the server several times, i rebooted the computer and i reinstalled it, to no avail.

Any solutions would be much appreciated.

Greetings and thanks in advance

Lars

Edit:
I tried to install the server on a different machine with the same result.
I reinstalled NCunch (latest version of course) on my Developer-PC -> still does not work
A colleague was able to connect to my Server with the latest version
Remco
#2 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2014 8:42:40 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi,

Thanks for sharing this issue. My first thought is that there is something structurally unusual about your solution that NCrunch is having trouble handling. Most likely this is file path related.

Does the problem appear for any other solutions? Does this solution have any projects containing references to files on different drives from the host solution, or perhaps references to files using UNC paths?

Is there any chance you could disable grid processing, set the engine to run tests manually, reset the engine, then immediately submit a bug report? The log file will then contain information that might help to identify the file reference involved.

Thanks!

Remco
GibSral
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:05:45 AM(UTC)

Thanks for your reply,

i tried it with another solution and it works.
The difference is that the solution where it fails is on C: and the projects are in my TFS-Workspace on D:

I will follow your instructions and submit a bug report.

Greetings ant thanks

Lars
Remco
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2014 8:56:05 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Thanks Lars. I've successfully recreated the problem and can confirm that it is caused by having the solution file on a different drive to the projects it contains.

This is a bit of an issue for NCrunch, and I'm not sure if there is a way to fix it inside the product itself ... I'll explain why.

NCrunch's grid processing works by replicating your solution into a single directory space on the grid node. The replicated solution needs to be of an identical relative structure to the solution on the client machine, as it needs to be centrally managed and controlled according to the constraints configured on the grid node.

For a solution to be able to exist under the same directory as its projects, it must originate on the same drive on the client machine, as otherwise NCrunch won't be able to construct relative paths between the files to build a cohesive structure.

.. So the only way to be able to fix this would be for you to find a way to place the solution file on the same drive as the projects. Note that the solution doesn't need to be in the TFS-Workspace - it could simply be in a different directory on the same drive.

I've noted this down for review as I think there are better ways for NCrunch to handle this than to just kick up an internal error message.

Cheers,

Remco
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
GibSral on 12/2/2014(UTC)
GibSral
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:33:56 PM(UTC)

Thanks a lot,

then I will move the solution to the other drive.

Greetings
Lars