Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

NCrunh: Loading of projects fails
afaq404alam
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2015 11:05:54 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I am facing a problem in running NCrunch.

I have following configuration on machine
  • Visual Studio 2013
    Windows 8
    .Net Framework 4.5.2

After enabling NCrunch when i click on Tests. The loading of project fails with the following error:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at nCrunch.Core.BuildManagement.BuildProcessLauncher.(Action`1 , ProcessorArchitecture , GridClientId , IBuildableProject , CustomEnvironmentVariable[] )
at nCrunch.Core.BuildManagement.BuildProcessLauncher.AnalyseComponentBuildInExternalProcess(FilePath projectFilePath, BuildXml buildXml, String useBuildConfiguration, String useBuildPlatform, DirectoryPath solutionDir, String solutionName, List`1 importExpressionsToEvaluate, ProcessorArchitecture processorArchitecture, VisualStudioVersion vsVersion, CustomEnvironmentVariable[] customEnvironmentVariables)
at nCrunch.Client.ComponentLoader.SnapshotComponentFactory.(ProcessorArchitecture )
at nCrunch.Client.ComponentLoader.SnapshotComponentFactory.CreateSnapshotComponentFromXml(FilePath projectFilePath, BuildXml projectXml, FilePath solutionFilePath, String[] additionalFilesToIncludeAtSolutionLevel, Boolean isLoadedFromFile, ISnapshotConfig snapshotConfig, VisualStudioVersion vsVersion)

Please help.
Remco
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2015 9:46:24 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi,

Thanks for sharing this issue. I've reviewed the code involved carefully and can't find any obvious reason why it would fail the way it is for you. I'm hoping perhaps you'd be able to provide some more details so that we might be able to narrow down the problem in order to solve it.

- Has this problem appeared suddenly? Was there any chance you can think of that might have surfaced it? Or did this happen the first time NCrunch was used on this machine?
- Does this happen exclusively on one machine, or does it happen for multiple machines? Do you have members of your team that see the same problem?
- Do you experience this problem when working with an empty .NET 4.5.1 class library? Is it specific to one solution you work with?
- Try shutting down all instances of Visual Studio, then deleting the NCrunch configuration file at C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\NCrunch\globalconfig.crunch.xml ... Does this resolve the problem?
- Can you submit a bug report immediately after you've seen NCrunch bug out?

Thanks!

Remco
afaq404alam
#3 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2015 6:33:30 AM(UTC)

Hi,

This is the first time I am using NCrunch on my machine. It happens on all the machines that have the same setup.

+ I tried enabling NCrunch on an empty class library project in VS2013, but NCrunch stills fails to load the project.
+ I also tried deleting globalconfig.crunch.xml from AppData\Roaming\NCrunch and starting Visual Studio again but again the problem was same.
+ It doesn't prompt for submitting bug report but the test fails to load.

The problem is when I click on NCRUNCH->Test it shows me the above mentioned exception.
Remco
#4 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2015 10:29:56 AM(UTC)

afaq404alam;6791 wrote:

This is the first time I am using NCrunch on my machine. It happens on all the machines that have the same setup.

Are there any machines in your team (i.e. with a different setup but still running NCrunch) that are able to work with the solution?

afaq404alam;6791 wrote:

+ I tried enabling NCrunch on an empty class library project in VS2013, but NCrunch stills fails to load the project.

Can you confirm whether this was a .NET 4.5.1 project? This is important as I have a feeling this may be related to .NET 4.5.2

afaq404alam;6791 wrote:

+ It doesn't prompt for submitting bug report but the test fails to load.

To submit a bug report, choose the 'Submit Bug Report' option from the NCrunch menu in Visual Studio. Make sure you submit the bug report after the projects have failed to load - in this way the failure will be shown in the log.
afaq404alam
#5 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2015 12:17:24 PM(UTC)

I have created a test using .NET framework 4.5.2 and I am using NUnit framework for testing.

I followed the following steps:
1. Enabled the NCrunch.
2. Then clicked on tests, which failed to load my solution.

PS: All the machines are having the same configuration as of mine. (and .NET framework is 4.5.2)
Remco
#6 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2015 9:13:49 PM(UTC)

Can you please submit a bug report after this has happened?

If your firewall blocks the bug report submission, you can also save it as a ZIP and send it through the contact form.
Remco
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2015 1:29:02 AM(UTC)

Could you also check whether you have the following assembly installed in the GAC on your machine?

Microsoft.Build, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=MSIL

If you don't see this in the GAC, do you see any other Microsoft.Build assemblies with different versions?

Also, how was Visual Studio installed on this machine? Was it loaded from an ISO? For example, did you install Visual Studio 2013, then install Update 4 ... or did you just directly install the version of VS that is bundled with Update 4?
Remco
#8 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2015 10:18:35 AM(UTC)

Thanks for sending through the bug report.

The report contained something interesting that I thought would be worth looking at. There seems to be something in your infrastructure that is restricting the access of the VS process:

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Access is denied
at System.Diagnostics.Process.set_PriorityClass(ProcessPriorityClass value)

Are you running any kind of 3rd party software that might be blocking certain APIs? This could be a virus scanner or some kind of security software. If so, does disabling it make any difference?
afaq404alam
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 12:54:33 PM(UTC)

Hi,

I tried disabling my antivirus completely but I am still facing the same issue.

I just have Symantec antivirus installed and no other security software.
Remco
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:45:56 PM(UTC)

Can you confirm the details about the MSBuild DLL? This is important as this file is required by NCrunch and the software can't seem to resolve it on the machine.