Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Latest point release does not accept my key
Aidan
#1 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 3:05:41 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I just upgraded to the latest v 2.11 and now ncrunch won't run as my key is over 12 months old.

Am I wrong in expecting point releases for my (quite a lot of) money and re-buying when there is a new version (ie 3.0 in this case) if I think the upgrades worth it.

I don't really expect to have to pay for essentially bug fixes.

Minimally I would expect the updater to warn me the update is going to shut off my access to ncrunch if I do the upgrade.
Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 9:13:17 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting.

I'm sorry that you found the upgrade process painful.

When v2 was released, the system was revised so that all license purchases would automatically come with 12 months of free upgrades to ALL released versions of NCrunch (major and minor). After this, you can choose to upgrade your key at 50% of the normal price, or you can continue to use the versions you already have access to. You can find more information about these changes in this blog post - http://blog.ncrunch.net/post/NCrunch-V2-RTM-Available!-License-upgrades-extended-to-12-months.aspx.

The new licensing system flows much better as it eliminates the 'lottery' of trying to purchase close to a major release, not knowing when that release will be. It gets less in the way of product development, and eliminates the need to differentiate between bugs and features (a process which is extremely subjective and frustrating for everyone). Many other software companies follow this model and there is a general trend towards it within the industry.

mharen
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2015 12:59:35 PM(UTC)

FYI- if you need to download an older release the downloads page has them: http://www.ncrunch.net/download

Click the "Show older releases" button, which will expand a big list, including notes about which versions are supported based on your license date.
Der-Albert.com
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2015 4:02:39 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Hi,

i'm a NCrunch Customer since day one and used it before that in the early stages while it was clear if it was every going to be a product. I'm was happy to pay for, and happy to pay for the 2.x Update directly as they was available. I propably will pay now again for the 2.x to get rid of the nagging "2.13.05" teaser is available and the bug fixes.

But paying for bugfix releases without knowing if there will be new development feels a little bit scary and wrong. Your uservoice site has many requests, but no (except for VS2015) information about if something is considered or will be done.

The License details window has now details about the expiration, so that installing a new version is a lottery if it still works if i follow the nagging "new version" notification.

I wish the future of NCrunch would be a little clearer, so that i have more trust in spending my money.

1 user thanked Der-Albert.com for this useful post.
Aidan on 2/26/2015(UTC)
Remco
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2015 9:41:28 PM(UTC)

Hi Albert,

Thanks for your feedback on this. I always appreciate your valuable insight on these things. You have a very good track record on your comments and suggestions having an impact on the NCrunch project :)

I realise that the notification for releases being outside the 12-months free upgrade period for a license is not as a good as it probably should be. I've tried placing date range notices on the download page, but it seems (quite reasonably) that most people can't remember the date they last bought their license .. and a stronger check needs to be in place somewhere to avoid frustrating them by installing a release that their license won't work with. I have a feeling that placing a date inside the license details window will help, but probably won't solve the problem .. as I don't think many people will check the license details window before trying to upgrade the product. Probably the best place would be in the installer.

It is also possible to turn off the installer nag - there is a global configuration setting ('Check for updates').

Now .. about the lack of published information on future features ...

This is an area that is tough to win on, as there is so much uncertainty involved. NCrunch is an extremely high risk project in terms of its development. Almost all major requested features require some level of integration with other products over which I have a very limited degree of control (or none what-so-ever), or they involve huge steps into uncharted territory where no example or precedent exists. I've lost count of the number of times I've progressed partway through a major feature only to find that the final implementation wouldn't meet the quality expected of it or simply wouldn't work at all.

I understand this is normal in innovation, and this problem is reflected in the long line of broken promises left by similar developers attempting to provide high-risk features they have advertised either proactively or through response to user request.

A good example of this was my promise to implement Silverlight support. By the time I was able to free up the bandwidth to implement this, the market had already shifted in a way that made the promise completely unfeasible. Many people were disappointed over this. Likely the only reason I didn't need to process a wave of refunds was because I'd never promised when the feature would actually be delivered, so no one bought in advance in expectation of the feature.

So it is my choice to sell the product on the basis of substance rather than promises. If before buying a license, you felt it was important to know whether a key requested feature would soon be delivered, I would suggest that you hold off buying. The intention of the NCrunch licensing model is to empower you to choose if and when you want to upgrade. If you choose not to upgrade your license because you see nothing worth paying for right now, just hold off and upgrade later if you see something you like. The 12 month maintenance period that comes with the license is always effective from the date that the license was issued - not the date the previous license maintenance period expired.
Der-Albert.com
#6 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2015 3:23:58 PM(UTC)

Had to buy ;)

2.12.02 had issues with with compiling assemblies or more i think the framework utilisation for Gallio/xUnit v1.
The Test assemblies with xUnit Test are not build, (sorry have no exception, VS 2015 CTP 6).

2.13.05 everything is fine again.

Der-Albert.com
#7 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2015 3:26:31 PM(UTC)

For the Features ... be more active on user voice, so no, yes or that you think about it. Give us the "feeling" that there is more to come ;)

You make a great job here in the forum, and you are fantastic on fixing these problem. You and NCrunch are worth any penny.
Remco
#8 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2015 9:40:40 PM(UTC)

Der-Albert.com;7029 wrote:
For the Features ... be more active on user voice, so no, yes or that you think about it. Give us the "feeling" that there is more to come ;)

You make a great job here in the forum, and you are fantastic on fixing these problem. You and NCrunch are worth any penny.

Thanks :) There is definitely more coming! It seems to be the pattern that the highest voted items on uservoice always seem to be the hardest to implement, so they tend to sit there for a while before I figure out the best way to handle them.