Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

passing tests failing
SteveEllwood
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2015 9:37:22 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi

My setup is VS 2012 premium Update 4 with NCrunch 2.13.0.5 and Nunit 2.6.3

i'm not sure if its coincidence or not but I have recently setup distributed processing with one other node.

What happens is that some of my tests show as failing however if I use the Run Starting test in a new task runner process option the test passes. This only happens to a few tests in a single test class as far as I can see, I can't see anything else that's common about them other than that they are all integration tests which call the same web service (different methods).

I've tried disabling the new node and I've also tried the resynchronise, rebuild and rerun option, in both cases they didn't resolve the issue

I'm completely baffled by this

regards

steve
Remco
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2015 11:21:19 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Steve -

Thanks for posting.

This is a really, really common problem. There are a couple of things that can often cause it:

1. The tests are sequence dependent. This means that the execution order can affect their outcome. For example, when one test is run, it may change the state of some resource (maybe a static member or database) in such a way that prevents other tests from operating correctly if they are executed in the same process. See (test atomicity for more information). Try running the tests in a variable sequence when re-using the task runner process (options under the 'Advanced' context menu).

2. The tests may have intermittent pass/fail tendencies. This is often caused by multi-threaded behaviour or reliance on things outside the test runner process that may have an inconsistent state (see multi threaded tests for more information).
SteveEllwood
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2015 1:38:20 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks Remco I'll look at that