Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

After upgrade to 2.14, in-editor status indicators not updating correctly
simmdan
#1 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 4:11:46 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hey Remco,

I'm running VS 2013 update 4 with NCrunch 2.14.0.8. I upgraded to 2.14.0.8 a few days ago, but just noticed this morning that the in-editor status indicators (which indicate code-coverage and test status) are not updating properly. Here's the scenario:

I have a test which is failing (and the status indicators properly show red and an x at the line where an exception is thrown causing the test to fail). I fix the test, it re-runs automatically and the status indicators that were red turn to green, BUT the line that was throwing an exception still shows an x (just it's a green x rather than a red one which isn't something I've seen before) and the lines that weren't previously reached (in the test after the exception) that are now reached and are passing still show black circles like they aren't covered.

Even more frustrating is if there is a break in the test which I fix and then there is another break later in the same test, then the indicators completely stay the same--still red and still an x on the line which used to have an exception but now actually passes instead of having an x down on the new line that is now the cause of the test failure. (I know, many folks recommend that each test have only one assert, but I often have multiple asserts verifying various aspects of a particular action in a single test.)

If I click on one of these indicators and choose "Run covering test in new task runner process", then the indicators update properly after the test re-runs, but this is much less convenient than updating automatically (which is what used to happen).

Danny

P.S. Thanks for a great tool. NCrunch dramatically improves my productivity.
Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 11:07:51 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1255 time(s) in 1168 post(s)
Hi Danny,

I'm aware of an intermittent problem which can cause desyncs in the code coverage/markers. It's rare and it's also transient. It disappears when the engine is reset. I haven't yet found enough information to recreate it and track it down.

If this is indeed the problem that you've been hit with, a simple engine reset or IDE restart should usually get rid of it. It may also be worth clearing out the contents of your _NCrunch_ directory with the IDE closed (i.e. clearing the cache file), as if there is cache file corruption causing the problem then this should fix it.

Also be aware that NCrunch will not update code coverage for any test run with a debugger attached (this is by design).

If neither of the above apply in your situation, then this is something new.

Is there a clear pattern through which the problem appears? (i.e. is it intermittent, or does it show up every time?)

Does the problem appear for you on a new, simple bare-bones test solution?
simmdan
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 9:29:18 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Sorry for taking so long to respond (especially after your quick and accurate answer to my initial post).

I had this problem all morning the first day when I reported the problem, but I had not shutdown/restarted visual studio all that time. Once I did that the problem went away and has not recurred (just like you expected). Sorry I don't have any more info/pattern to give you, but in any case I am happily crunching.

Thanks again for a great product!
1 user thanked simmdan for this useful post.
Remco on 5/6/2015(UTC)