Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Windows 10 Build 10130 - VS2015 RC
glesueur
#1 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2015 7:08:16 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Appreciated both are in preview, both I am getting consistent crash now since upgrading to Build 10130. After I enable ncrunch, it has a go at running tests then dies. Pretty big Solution about 122 projects but have no problems on other machines or prior to 10130.

Anything I can do to help identify the problem, in case next Windows release doesn't fix it? It's not my main box so I can personally cope.

Thanks!

Gary
Remco
#2 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2015 10:22:09 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1258 time(s) in 1171 post(s)
Hi Gary,

Thanks for sharing this issue. Would you be able to answer the following questions? This will help me narrow the problem down.

- Do you receive the crash on a specific solution, or on all solutions? If you try to create a simple solution with a single test in it, does it crash?
- What is the nature of the crash? Does VS itself explode? Do you get a background exception?
- If VS itself is exploding, can you try running VS with a separate VS instance debugger attached to the first (exploding) instance at the time it blows up? Sometimes with a debugger attached, we're able to catch the problem earlier and identify the true exception with a stack trace.
- Does your event viewer contain any extra information about the exception?
glesueur
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 20, 2015 10:25:22 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi Remco.

- Do you receive the crash on a specific solution, or on all solutions? If you try to create a simple solution with a single test in it, does it crash?

Created a simple solution, seperate test project, similar setup, no crashing.

- What is the nature of the crash? Does VS itself explode? Do you get a background exception?

Vs just Hangs and white-screens in the typical windows-not-responding way. It appears to be when I show the test window. Just realised the tests are actually running.

- If VS itself is exploding, can you try running VS with a separate VS instance debugger attached to the first (exploding) instance at the time it blows up? Sometimes with a debugger attached, we're able to catch the problem earlier and identify the true exception with a stack trace.

So I loaded solution, attached seperate vs instance, pressed show tests... and it worked. In fact, everything has started working and I feel stupid.

- Does your event viewer contain any extra information about the exception?

Had 2 error event items from when it crashed 5 mins ago:

The description for Event ID 0 from source Application cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Error Handler Exception: System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException: There was an error reading from the pipe: Unrecognized error 109 (0x6d). ---> System.IO.IOException: The read operation failed, see inner exception. ---> System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException: There was an error reading from the pipe: Unrecognized error 109 (0x6d). ---> System.IO.PipeException: There was an error reading from the pipe: Unrecognized error 109 (0x6d).
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.PipeConnection.OnAsyncReadComplete(Boolean haveResult, Int32 error, Int32 numBytes)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Runtime.AsyncResult.End[TAsyncResult](IAsyncResult result)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionStream.EndRead(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Net.FixedSizeReader.ReadCallback(IAsyncResult transportResult)
at System.Net.Security.NegotiateStream.EndRead(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.StreamConnection.EndRead()
at System.Runtime.AsyncResult.End[TAsyncResult](IAsyncResult result)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportDuplexSessionChannel.EndTryReceive(IAsyncResult result, Message& message)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DuplexChannelBinder.EndTryReceive(IAsyncResult result, RequestContext& requestContext)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ErrorHandlingReceiver.EndTryReceive(IAsyncResult result, RequestContext& requestContext) \r\n at System.Runtime.AsyncResult.End[TAsyncResult](IAsyncResult result)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportDuplexSessionChannel.EndTryReceive(IAsyncResult result, Message& message)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DuplexChannelBinder.EndTryReceive(IAsyncResult result, RequestContext& requestContext)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ErrorHandlingReceiver.EndTryReceive(IAsyncResult result, RequestContext& requestContext)

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

and this one

The program devenv.exe version 14.0.22823.1 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 2c2c
Start Time: 01d0ab3e042aae00
Termination Time: 32
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
Report Id: a7514e3f-1733-11e5-8056-bcaec52895c6
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thanks for your time, I have even closed both instances and tried again and its all ok. If it occurs again I'll get the debugger back on the case and pay attention to event logs.

Cheers

Gary
Remco
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 20, 2015 11:16:10 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1258 time(s) in 1171 post(s)
glesueur;7426 wrote:

Thanks for your time, I have even closed both instances and tried again and its all ok. If it occurs again I'll get the debugger back on the case and pay attention to event logs.

Cheers

Gary

Thanks Gary. I'm glad that the instance is working for you again, but this is quite a concerning problem as it seems to be somehow tied into the VS integration. I have a feeling this will be a very tough one to track down. Do let me know if you manage to obtain a stack trace from the crashed instance.

Also, keep an eye out for crashes around other tool windows (NCrunch or otherwise). It would be interesting to know if the problem is more widespread than just the tests window.