Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Force install of old version
Ashthos
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2015 8:22:38 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi

I attempted to upgrade to the newest point release, but it wasn't covered by my existing license. Unfortunately group policy at work does not allow uninstallation of software (?? huh!!). The older installer I have won't install due to the newer version being installed.

Is there a flag I can use on the installer of the previous version to force installation, or can I cull certain setting from the registry in order for it to allow installation?

Cheers

Ash
Remco
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2015 9:48:31 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Ash,

Thanks for posting!

Windows Installers usually have a specific area of the registry where they place data about programs that are installed. NCrunch will be in this place, and removing the right keys should get rid of the installation. To find this, just do a search for 'NCrunch for Visual Studio' in your registry. This is the clean way to solve your problem. Other than these standard keys, NCrunch doesn't store version-specific data in your registry.

The dirty way to solve your problem is to manually delete the installed files, then do a manual installation of the older version - http://www.ncrunch.net/documentation/manual-installation-instructions. The only drawback here is that your installed programs list will show NCrunch as being a later version than it actually is, which might make things more complicated if you try to upgrade it again later.