Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Test Isolation Issue
paulrogero
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2016 1:58:23 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi!

I am running into an issue where it appears there is some "state" or information being shared between tests. I noticed this issue while working with Entity Framework 7.

In a nutshell, it appears that the tests run fine if I run them manually one by one using the Ncrunch Tests window, however, if I select two tests at once and click the play button (Run selected tests in new process) then typically one test fails and the other passes.

I have created a simple solution with 2 projects to demonstrate this behavior. There is a library project which contains the application code and a test project which contains the three tests. I uploaded my test solution to GitHub. Please see this repository: https://github.com/rog1039/Rogero.NcrunchTests

Here is an outline of the solution:

ApplicationProject
- class DatabaseContext : DbContext
- override void OnModelCreating()
- class EntityA
- int Id {get;set;}

TestProject
- class ContextSharedStateTests
- Constructor to set up test
- private int _onModelCreatingCallCount = 0;
- void OnModelCreatingShouldBeCalledA()
- void OnModelCreatingShouldBeCalledB()
- void OnModelCreatingShouldOnlyBeCalledOnce()

In my library project I have two classes. I have an Entity Framework DbContext [DatabaseContext] class and a simple Entity class [EntityA] with a single int property called Id. My DatabaseContext class takes in an action that is stored for later execution during the OnModelCreating method. When the DatabaseContext is created for the first time, this OnModelCreating class is executed which notifies the test that the method was called. The test simply verifies that this method was called.

If I run the tests manually one at a time, then it seems OnModelCreating is always called each test run. When the run in close proximity to each other as mentioned above, then often a test will fail.

All my code with lots of comments is available via the GitHub repo mentioned above. To run that code however, you will need to do a package restore to get the relevant packages like xUnit and EntityFramework. To get the entity framework packages you'll need to use the EF nightlies nuget feed [https://www.myget.org/F/aspnetvnext/]

If it would be easier I have zipped up the entire directory which you I can send you. It is 10 MB but includes all the binaries so you won't have to mess with nuget for the Entity Framework binaries.

Thanks,
Paul

Remco
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2016 9:41:56 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1259 time(s) in 1172 post(s)
Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing this issue.

If I understand this problem correctly, I think it may be by design.

Running two tests in sequence (or at the same time) using the NCrunch engine will usually result in the tests being run sequentially within the same process. This is the same behaviour you would experience with any other test runner that was running your tests through from start to finish.

If you'd like the tests to run in complete isolation (i.e. each in their own separate process that is torn down when they finish), you might want to look into using this attribute - http://www.ncrunch.net/documentation/reference_runtime-framework_isolated-attribute.
paulrogero
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:35:27 PM(UTC)

Hi Remco,

You mention that the NCrunch engine can reuse a process when running tests. I previously thought this did not occur. I was reading this page (http://www.ncrunch.net/documentation/considerations-and-constraints_concurrent-use-of-test-resources) and the paragraphs that threw me off I included below:

Quote:

When tests are executed in parallel using NCrunch, they will always be executed in separate processes. The intention of this is to prevent tests from interfering with each other through concurrent access to shared state (such as singletons, static members, etc). Because of this, you can be certain that tests processed by NCrunch will never experience concurrency problems provided they do not access resources outside their host process (for example, the file system or a network socket).

IMPORTANT: It is a very common misconception that NCrunch will run tests concurrently across different threads inside the same test process. The current architecture of NCrunch makes this impossible.

That definitely made me think NCrunch is running every test in a separate process. Further the mention of static members, along with the mention to not access resources outside the host process, makes me think NCrunch is providing each test with a totally clean slate. From your reply I now know those paragraphs apply specifically to concurrency concerns only.

So, given your explanation in this thread, the problem is fairly obvious. Static members can be shared between tests and the current architecture of NCrunch makes this possible and perhaps likely. The text on the page I reference seems to suggest the opposite.

I might suggest making it extra clear that test processes and threads can and likely will be reused by NCrunch and therefore the state of static members in tests is unknown without explicit setup logic. Knowing that now makes it pretty clear why my tests fail. This might even be spelled out somewhere else in the doc's, but on the page I referenced above, this distinction is not mentioned.

Regarding your proposed solution, I just tried to use the Isolated attribute to ensure each test is forced to run in a new process. As expected, now all three tests pass without issue. I just wish I knew about that attribute earlier!

Thanks,
Paul
paulrogero
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:41:20 PM(UTC)

One other suggestion:

It would be nice to apply the Isolated attribute to a class and have it isolate each test in the class. Currently it only means that there will be one process for all the tests of this class.

Perhaps a new attribute, such as [IndividualIsolation] to be applied to the class, or maybe options on the existing attribute such as [Isolated(Isolation.Class)] and [Isolated(Isolation.Test)] to describe the scope of the isolation?

I happen to often have a single class with many tests that must all run in total isolation so the ability to isolate each test from each other by attributing the class and not having to attribute each method would be convenient.

Thanks,
Paul
Remco
#5 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2016 1:34:03 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1259 time(s) in 1172 post(s)
Hi Paul,

Sorry about this. Reading this paragraph in the documentation, I can see how you concluded that each test would always be run in isolation. I've made a note to reword this in the documentation to avoid future confusion.

Using the existing IsolatedAttribute to isolate only at test level would impact the existing (and often useful) functionality already behaving at class level, so a new attribute for this feature would make sense. You're welcome to make a formal request for it if you like - http://ncrunch.uservoice.com.
paulrogero
#6 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2016 1:05:41 PM(UTC)

Hi Remco,

I went to user voice to add the suggestion and it looks like someone beat me to it! http://ncrunch.uservoice...olated-which-applies-to

I added some votes to that suggestion.

Thanks,
Paul
1 user thanked paulrogero for this useful post.
Remco on 1/15/2016(UTC)