Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Issue cause by updating to version 2.20
ChrisLau90
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 1:41:00 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone,

Earlier today I updated to version 2.20, and since doing so a blank CMD window keeps appearing. It constantly disappears and reappears within a second or two and takes priority over all my windows rendering my machine barely useable. Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have a fix for it?

[img=(- BROKEN LINK -)]screenshot[/img]
Remco
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 10:25:23 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1259 time(s) in 1172 post(s)
Hi, thanks for sharing this issue.

Looking at the path of the command window, this seems to be sourced from a .EXE located inside your NCrunch workspace.

NCrunch doesn't invoke .EXEs inside the workspace - but it does run your test code, which might be responsible for doing this.

v2.20 introduced a change in which the task runners are no longer run as console applications (they are now standard windows applications). It's possible that this change has had some kind of knock-on effect on the behaviour of your test code, but at this stage I have no idea how such a change could cause this problem.

Have you tried running your tests selectively to isolate the one causing the window to pop up?
ChrisLau90
#3 Posted : Monday, April 4, 2016 11:38:12 AM(UTC)

Hi, thanks for the reply.

No I have not tried to do this yet. I will try to do this today and let you know how it goes. The problem is this project has about 3000+ unit tests so it could take a while!

Cheers
Remco
#4 Posted : Monday, April 4, 2016 11:43:29 AM(UTC)

ChrisLau90;8522 wrote:
Hi, thanks for the reply.

No I have not tried to do this yet. I will try to do this today and let you know how it goes. The problem is this project has about 3000+ unit tests so it could take a while!

Cheers

I recommend the 'binary search' method, in which you run 50% of your tests, then wait to see if it happens.

Based on your result, you can choose whether to run the other 50% of your tests, or split the original 50% in two, and run half of them. Usually you can narrow it down to a single test within a few short runs.
ChrisLau90
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2016 9:32:31 AM(UTC)

Hi Remco,

It turns out that that window is caused by running any of my JavaScript unit tests. I will set these tests to ignored for the meantime until this problem is sorted out. Is there anything I can do to help you debug the problem?

Thanks,

Chris
Remco
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 5, 2016 12:24:49 PM(UTC)

ChrisLau90;8528 wrote:

It turns out that that window is caused by running any of my JavaScript unit tests. I will set these tests to ignored for the meantime until this problem is sorted out. Is there anything I can do to help you debug the problem?

NCrunch itself doesn't support Javascript, so I assume that these tests are being run through some intermediate adapter in your own code.

I suggest looking into how this adapter is implemented. If it's spawning a new process, suppressing the command window may be as simple as just adjusting the parameters to the method spawning the process.