Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

ETA of MSTest data driven tests?
otac0n
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:22:52 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I was excited to see that a big release of NCrunch was out today, great work.

However, I have subsequently been disappointed when it turned out that MSTest data driven tests were still unsupported.

This is a feature I like to use on almost all of my tests, since it reduces the amount of test code that has to be written. This means that the majority of my tests will not run in NCrunch.

When do you expect to be able to support this?
Remco
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:12:04 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Data Driven tests haven't been implemented yet, primarily because of the development effort involved. When the MSTest support was first introduced, I had no reliable information on how many people were actually using this feature or how heavily it was being used.

The problem with data driven tests is that they are highly configurable and as such to support them in their entirety will require considerable effort. If you can give me any details about how you are expecting to make use of them, perhaps I can suggest an alternative approach or look at scoping a partial implementation.

It's hard for me to justify spending such a large amount of time on such a niche feature when NCrunch still has some big gaps in its feature set and supported frameworks (i.e. at 1.37b NCrunch still does not support Silverlight). If you can find enough people that want the feature implemented I can look at prioritising it higher.
JohnFisher
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:59:29 PM(UTC)

Remco,

Have you looked at Gallio (http://www.gallio.org/) enough to see if it would let you run MSTest data-driven tests? It seems that it would be one of the goals of that project to allow you to skip the implementation if it handled things for you.

John
Remco
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:09:04 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi John -

Thanks for the suggestion. My original plan was to integrate with MSTest using Gallio, though I gave up after considerable effort when I found that the MSTest engine just didn't have enough hook points for NCrunch to work its magic. The problem isn't Gallio - it's MSTest :(

Cheers,

Remco
otac0n
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2012 12:21:54 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
At this point, I'm willing to pay many of my dollars, or spend many hours of my time to get this feature.
1 user thanked otac0n for this useful post.
Remco on 2/18/2012(UTC)