Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Client always needs access to License Server
AndyLowry
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2016 7:44:01 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi,

We are having some issue with the License Server, it's behaviour doesn't seem to match what is on: https://www.ncrunch.net/..._usage-and-installation

"Once a token has been issued to the client, the client does not need to access the server again for the duration of the token lifespan. However, the client will still try to connect to the license server when NCrunch is first enabled for a session. Where a connection is possible, the token will automatically be renewed for another 7 days. This means that a client should always have full use of NCrunch for up to 7 days after access to the license server is removed. "

However, we are seeing that if NCrunch doesn't have access to the License server whenever a solution is loaded then it disabled itself, and asks for a License key.

Using Client version 2.20.0.4 of the client this is the behaviour I see:

1. Connect to VPN (our server is on our internal network but I'm accessing externally)
2. Start Visual Studio, load a project.
3. NCrunch runs fine
4. Disconnect VPN
5. Restart Visual Studio, and reload project
6. NCrunch asks for a Licence "An error occurred while trying to validate your license details"

I'm wondering if this could be a case that isn't allowed for, as the dns will resolve to another IP address when not on the VPN, which will respond with our company homepage. If NCrunch can talk to a server but it gives a response it doesn't understand, how does it handle this?

I'm happy to give more details and run any diagnostics you might need.

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Remco
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 24, 2016 11:31:45 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
AndyLowry;8668 wrote:

I'm wondering if this could be a case that isn't allowed for, as the dns will resolve to another IP address when not on the VPN, which will respond with our company homepage. If NCrunch can talk to a server but it gives a response it doesn't understand, how does it handle this?

Hi Andy,

I've just done a quick test, and I can confirm that NCrunch's license server handling will be failing because of the redirected DNS (as you've suspected).

Basically, the system tries to authenticate with the license server on initialisation. If the server can't be connected to, it falls back to the token its retained. If the server exists but returns a malformed/unexpected response, the error handling kicks in and it bubbles back up with the message.

I've noted this down for a fix.

What are your options for setting a consistent address for your license server? Does it have a static IP address? If so, perhaps you could by-pass the DNS server and go straight to the IP, or set something up in your .hosts file?