Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Temporary "user" files being created
MatthewSteeples
#1 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2016 9:13:03 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Please see the linked screenshots.

These files get created and deleted every couple of seconds in the same folder that the csproj is in. We have the "NCrunch cache storage path" configured so that cache files are not part of the directory, as all of these small files being created and deleted is really knackering the source control performance in VS (it would appear that even though one of the files is ignored, it still has to check the changes)

Anything we can do to help track down what's causing these files to be created and see how we can move them elsewhere?
Remco
#2 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2016 9:33:16 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting.

This is by design. For NCrunch to be able to query information from MSBuild, it needs to create a temporary file adjacent to each of your project files that can then be passed through MSBuild to obtain detailed information about the project.

The limitation here is that NCrunch needs to make temporary modifications to your project file for this to happen, and MSBuild is unable to work with projects straight out of memory (they must be on disk). So there isn't any way to prevent this from happening.

Note that NCrunch will only create/remove these files during first load of the engine, or when a project file is changed.
MatthewSteeples
#3 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2016 9:41:56 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Remco;8792 wrote:
Note that NCrunch will only create/remove these files during first load of the engine, or when a project file is changed.

There's something wrong with that logic then, because these files are being created _every_ few seconds, with different Guida each time. The screenshots I sent you were seconds apart and I was doing nothing in VS. This behaviour actually carried on after I closed VS for about 30 seconds too.

Additionally, because we use grid nodes, my local task processing count is set to 0.
Remco
#4 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2016 9:46:20 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
MatthewSteeples;8794 wrote:

There's something wrong with that logic then, because these files are being created _every_ few seconds, with different Guida each time. The screenshots I sent you were seconds apart and I was doing nothing in VS. This behaviour actually carried on after I closed VS for about 30 seconds too.

That is definitely not normal behaviour.

Are you running any 3rd party packages in VS that may cause changes to your projects in memory?

It would be great if you could submit a bug report while you are watching this happen. The logs may provide some useful information.