Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FileNotFoundException UTFResources
lprichar
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 1:05:32 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I'm getting the following:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

in a number of tests on a project that uses MSTest. I'm in VS 2017. I'm using NCrunch 3.9.0.1. They seem to fail at runtime on the first Assert.AreEqual statement.

The dll reference look like this:

<Reference Include="Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework, Version=10.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=MSIL" />

The tests run fine in Resharper and Visual Studio.

How's going on?

Thanks,
Lee
Remco
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 8:56:54 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Lee,

Thanks for sharing this problem. Do your projects have any references to the Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources.dll file? If not, does adding references resolve this issue?

Is this for .NET Framework or .NET Core?
lprichar
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 9:13:13 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the quick reply Remco. This is for .NET Framework. I tried adding the reference to some random dll of that name I happened to find in my VS2017 install directory, but same error. My csproj now looks like this:

<Reference Include="Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework, Version=10.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=MSIL" />
<Reference Include="Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources">
<HintPath>..\..\..\..\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources.dll</HintPath>
</Reference>

I'd love to just switch it to nunit as I'm not all that familiar with MSTest, but it's not my project. Incidentally, afaik Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework is not in the GAC, so I don't even know how Resharper or Visual Studio are finding their version of the dll.
Remco
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 6, 2017 9:27:14 PM(UTC)

My suspicion here is that there is somehow an indirect reference from the assertion code in Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework to the missing DLL. I haven't seen this before. It's possible you're tied into a version of MSTest that I haven't tested with previously, or there is something interesting going on in your environment.

Are you able to reproduce this issue in a small sample test project that you may be able to share with me?

Changing the version of the Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework DLL that you are referencing might give you a workaround for this problem.
lprichar
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 7, 2017 12:11:20 PM(UTC)

I've tried fiddling with the verison of the UnitTestFramework DLL, no luck. I wouldn't be surprised if it was an environmental issue, but let's find out. Here's a sample project that fails in NCrunch for me:

https://www.dropbox.com/...dla64VruiOkLZbUyMNa?dl=0
Remco
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 7, 2017 10:27:45 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the code sample. I think the environment is highly suspect - the sample worked correctly for me :(

Are you able to share the full stack trace of the exception?

Something else we can try is to turn on fusion logging and see where/how its looking for the dependency. See here for details on how to do this. The fusion logs likely won't tell us why it's trying to find this dependency, but at least they're likely to tell us where the CLR is looking for it.
lprichar
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2017 12:35:47 AM(UTC)

Sure, here's the full stack trace:

---

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UnitTesting.Assert.AreEqual[T](T expected, T actual, String message, Object[] parameters)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UnitTesting.Assert.AreEqual[T](T expected, T actual)
at MyUnitTestProj.Class1.DoIt() in C:\Users\Lee\Dropbox\ForRemco\MyUnitTestProj\MyUnitTestProj\Class1.cs:line 16

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

---

Not sure why it says assembly binding logging is turned off, I set [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1 and there's even a warning about it in NCrunch.

That Assembly Binding Log Viewer app is pretty cool, I didn't know about that. Unfortunately I don't really know what to look for. When I turn on "Log all binds to disk" there's a bunch of nCrunch.TestRunner_[guid] binds, then ServiceHub.IdentityHost.exe, ServiceHub.RoslynCodeAnalysisService32.exe, a couple other ServiceHub.[something] apps, then two vstest ones like vstest.discoveryengine.exe.

However, in none of those is there a description like Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework. The closest is this:

---

*** Assembly Binder Log Entry (6/7/2017 @ 8:20:48 PM) ***

The operation was successful.
Bind result: hr = 0x0. The operation completed successfully.

Assembly manager loaded from: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Running under executable C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO\2017\ENTERPRISE\COMMON7\IDE\COMMONEXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\TESTWINDOW\vstest.discoveryengine.x86.exe
--- A detailed error log follows.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Resource, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/PROGRAM FILES (X86)/MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO/2017/ENTERPRISE/COMMON7/IDE/COMMONEXTENSIONS/MICROSOFT/TESTWINDOW/
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
LOG: Dynamic Base = NULL
LOG: Cache Base = NULL
LOG: AppName = vstest.discoveryengine.x86.exe
Calling assembly : Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.ExecutionCommon, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a.
===
LOG: This bind starts in default load context.
LOG: Using application configuration file: C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO\2017\ENTERPRISE\COMMON7\IDE\COMMONEXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\TESTWINDOW\vstest.discoveryengine.x86.exe.Config
LOG: Using host configuration file:
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Resource, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
LOG: GAC Lookup was unsuccessful.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/PROGRAM FILES (X86)/MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO/2017/ENTERPRISE/COMMON7/IDE/COMMONEXTENSIONS/MICROSOFT/TESTWINDOW/Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Resource.DLL.
LOG: Assembly download was successful. Attempting setup of file: C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO\2017\ENTERPRISE\COMMON7\IDE\COMMONEXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\TESTWINDOW\Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Resource.dll
LOG: Entering run-from-source setup phase.
LOG: Assembly Name is: Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Resource, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
LOG: Binding succeeds. Returns assembly from C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO\2017\ENTERPRISE\COMMON7\IDE\COMMONEXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\TESTWINDOW\Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Resource.dll.
LOG: Assembly is loaded in default load context.
Remco
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2017 11:37:11 AM(UTC)

Ok, let's try installing the missing assembly into the GAC. Hopefully this will work around the issue.

You'll probably need to use an administrator command prompt, and to chase down gacutil if it isn't in your path.

Try: gacutil /i "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources.dll"

I note with interest that the version of Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources.dll that I have in this directory doesn't seem to be 0.0.0.0. Which is rather odd. I hope this works.
lprichar
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:34:06 PM(UTC)

Well, that didn't fix it. But the fusion logs have finally made their way into the ncrunch output, which I'll post below. Do you think the problem isn't so much with Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources, but rather with one of the other DLL's? Or perhaps a mismatch of versions between multiple QualityTools.* dll's? Do you have any QualityTools.* dll's in your GAC?

---

File name: 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UnitTesting.Assert.AreEqual[T](T expected, T actual, String message, Object[] parameters)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UnitTesting.Assert.AreEqual[T](T expected, T actual)
at MyUnitTestProj.Class1.DoIt() in C:\Users\Lee\Dropbox\ForRemco\MyUnitTestProj\MyUnitTestProj\Class1.cs:line 16

Assembly manager loaded from: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Running under executable C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Remco Software\NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017\nCrunch.TestHost452.x86.exe

LOG: DisplayName = Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Users/Lee/AppData/Local/NCrunch/11248/1/MyUnitTestProj/bin/Debug
Calling assembly : Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework, Version=10.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a.
===
LOG: This bind starts in LoadFrom load context.
WRN: Native image will not be probed in LoadFrom context. Native image will only be probed in default load context, like with Assembly.Load().
LOG: No application configuration file found.
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Lee/AppData/Local/NCrunch/11248/1/MyUnitTestProj/bin/Debug/Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Lee/AppData/Local/NCrunch/11248/1/MyUnitTestProj/bin/Debug/Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources/Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Lee/AppData/Local/NCrunch/11248/1/MyUnitTestProj/bin/Debug/Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Users/Lee/AppData/Local/NCrunch/11248/1/MyUnitTestProj/bin/Debug/Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources/Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Enterprise/Common7/IDE/ReferenceAssemblies/v2.0/Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Enterprise/Common7/IDE/ReferenceAssemblies/v2.0/Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources/Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Enterprise/Common7/IDE/ReferenceAssemblies/v2.0/Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2017/Enterprise/Common7/IDE/ReferenceAssemblies/v2.0/Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources/Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources.EXE.
Remco
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2017 11:55:23 PM(UTC)

I really think that something is wrong with the Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework binary that you are using.

I wonder if this might be a development version of this file. Was it perhaps taken from an RC branch of VS? It seems very strange that this file is referencing Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources v0.0.0.0.

NCrunch may be different in its behaviour compared with other runners in the sense that other runners may override Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework by statically binding to their own version of it.

Do you have any other versions of this file on your machine (or other machines) that you might be able to exchange it with? NCrunch has no dependency on Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources, so this is all coming from Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework. You could try obtaining a new one by referencing MSTest using Nuget.
lprichar
#11 Posted : Saturday, June 10, 2017 1:07:53 PM(UTC)

So I tried referencing these two nuget packages:

MSTest.TestAdapter
MSTest.TestFramework

But sadly that didn't solve the problem. By the way did you notice the "ReferenceAssemblies/v2.0" in the fusion logs? That doesn't look right to me. That should probably be "v4.0" or "v4.5".

Is nCrunch perhaps doing some assembly resolution stage where it isn't sorting? It kind of reminds me of one of those bugs were it works fine on your machine, but the testers keep getting records out of order because you accidentally left of the "ORDER BY" clause in your query and so the sort order is unspecified.

Maybe to help track it down could you please share what your fusion logs look like for the sample project I posted?
Remco
#12 Posted : Saturday, June 10, 2017 11:42:21 PM(UTC)

Make sure when you reference the MSTest nuget packages that you remove all trace of Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework from your solution. As long as your code is still binding to this assembly, it'll still go through the resource manager when attempting to process assertions.

The key problem here is that something is going wrong in the MS resource manager code in the negotiation of the Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources assembly. It's trying to reference a version of this assembly that doesn't exist (0.0.0.0). There are many layers to this code and it goes right down into mscorlib, so trying to understand why it's failing is probably not going to work for us.

On my machine, the code also tries to bind to the UTFResources assembly, but it does so using the correct version of the file. See below for the fusion binding log.

*** Assembly Binder Log Entry (11/06/2017 @ 11:39:54 a.m.) ***

Running under executable C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Remco Software\NCrunch for Visual Studio 2017\nCrunch.TestHost452.x86.exe

LOG: DisplayName = Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources, Version=10.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///F:/workspaces/7472/1/MyUnitTestProj/bin/Debug
LOG: AppName = nCrunch.TestRunner_6fb88d987ae24a4f8b82d82b6d4b65a7
Calling assembly : Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework, Version=10.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a.
===
LOG: Post-policy reference: Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources, Version=10.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
LOG: Found assembly by looking in the GAC.
LOG: Binding succeeds. Returns assembly from C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources\10.1.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources.dll.

*** Assembly Binder Log Entry (11/06/2017 @ 11:39:54 a.m.) ***

LOG: DisplayName = Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources, Version=10.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///F:/workspaces/7472/1/MyUnitTestProj/bin/Debug
LOG: AppName = nCrunch.TestRunner_6fb88d987ae24a4f8b82d82b6d4b65a7
===
LOG: Post-policy reference: Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources, Version=10.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
LOG: Found assembly by looking in the GAC.
LOG: Binding succeeds. Returns assembly from C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources\10.1.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UTFResources.dll.
lprichar
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 4:14:50 AM(UTC)

I finally got it to work. After comparing our fusion logs I figured maybe I needed more stuff in the GAC. Adding the 10.1 version of UnitTestFramework.dll seemed to do the trick. i.e.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\ReferenceAssemblies\v4.0>gacutil -i Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework.dll

Still not sure why nCrunch is unhappy when other runners worked, but I'm back to business at least. Hope this helps someone else.
Remco
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 6:01:15 AM(UTC)

I'm really happy that you managed to find a solution to this. It's interesting that installing this into the GAC resolved the problem ... Since GAC resolutions always taken precedence, I have a feeling that you might have had a defunct version of this assembly in your GAC. It's unfortunate that the interactions around this sort of thing in the CLR are so complicated that it's probably not worth investigating this in more detail now that we have a solution.

NCrunch has many differences when compared with other runners, especially under MSTest. NCrunch's MSTest support is handled by an emulator, where as far as I know, most other runners integrate directly with VSTest. So it's better to think of it as using an entirely different test framework that is intended to behave similar to MSTest.