Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

BadImageFromatException when using ValueTuple
GibSral
#1 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 9:08:37 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi,

I just created a simple MsBuildTask with the appropriate NUnit (3.7) test project. (both .net 4.6.1)
When using the new Tuple I get a BadImageFormatException when ncrunch (Version 3.11.0.5) executes the test.
This also happens in Version 3.10.0.20.

An error occurred while analysing this project after it was built: System.BadImageFormatException: Die Datei oder Assembly "System.ValueTuple, Version=4.0.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cc7b13ffcd2ddd51" oder eine Abhängigkeit davon wurde nicht gefunden. Verweisassemblys sollten nicht für die Ausführung geladen werden. Sie können nur in einem Ladekontext nur für die Reflektion geladen werden. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80131058)
Dateiname: "System.ValueTuple, Version=4.0.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cc7b13ffcd2ddd51" ---> System.BadImageFormatException: Die Datei oder Assembly "file:///C:\Users\lab\.nuget\packages\System.ValueTuple\4.4.0\ref\net461\System.ValueTuple.dll" oder eine Abhängigkeit davon wurde nicht gefunden. Verweisassemblys sollten nicht für die Ausführung geladen werden. Sie können nur in einem Ladekontext nur für die Reflektion geladen werden. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80131058)
Dateiname: "file:///C:\Users\lab\.nuget\packages\System.ValueTuple\4.4.0\ref\net461\System.ValueTuple.dll" ---> System.BadImageFormatException: Es kann keine Verweisassembly für die Ausführung geladen werden.
bei System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
bei System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
bei System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
bei System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence, Byte[] hashValue, AssemblyHashAlgorithm hashAlgorithm, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
bei System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(String assemblyFile)
bei nCrunch.Common.CustomAssemblyResolver.ResolveAssembly(ParsedAssemblyName parsedAssemblyName)
bei nCrunch.Common.CustomAssemblyResolver.(Object , ResolveEventArgs )
bei System.AppDomain.OnAssemblyResolveEvent(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String assemblyFullName)

You can reproduce this by simply creating a .net 4.6.1 project that referenecs NUnit and ValueTuple by using the latter in code
For exapmle:

Code:
        [Test]
        public void SomeTest()
        {
            DoSomething(("1", "2"));
        }

public void DoSomething((string value1, string value2) values)
        {

}

Any suggestions?
The ReSharper testrunner executes the tests without error.

Thanks in advance

Lars
Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 9:11:08 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Lars,

I've just today been implementing a fix for this issue. I'll let you know as soon as I have a build available.
fysiofriends
#3 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 11:32:09 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
FYI: Just ran into the same issue. Any updates are much appreciated
Remco
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 27, 2017 2:56:30 AM(UTC)

fysiofriends
#5 Posted : Monday, August 28, 2017 7:34:17 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Yes, this build solves my problem. I did have some problems unignoring the tests that I previously ignored though. I have to unignore all leafs in the tree that was displaying the ignored tests. But, after that, the tests ran and completed successfully.
1 user thanked fysiofriends for this useful post.
Remco on 8/28/2017(UTC)
thijstijsma
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 3, 2017 10:08:31 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I encountered the same problem on Visual Studio 15.3.3 (Enterprise) and installed the build you provided, however it does not solve my issues.

I get the same stacktrace:

System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\MSBuild\Microsoft\Microsoft.NET.Build.Extensions\net47\ref\System.ValueTuple.dll' or one of its dependencies. Reference assemblies should not be loaded for execution. They can only be loaded in the Reflection-only loader context. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131058)
at Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.GreenNode.WriteTo(TextWriter writer, Boolean leading, Boolean trailing)
at Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.GreenNode.ToFullString()
at Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.SyntaxNode.ToFullString()
at <snip>my code</snip>
System.BadImageFormatException: Cannot load a reference assembly for execution.

I'm available for any testing you require.
Remco
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 3, 2017 11:33:16 AM(UTC)

Would you be able to try the build below to see if this is any better for you?

http://downloads.ncrunch.net/NCrunch_Console_3.11.0.8.msi
http://downloads.ncrunch.net/NCrunch_Console_3.11.0.8.zip
http://downloads.ncrunch.net/NCrunch_GridNodeServer_3.11.0.8.msi
http://downloads.ncrunch.net/NCrunch_GridNodeServer_3.11.0.8.zip
http://downloads.ncrunch.net/NCrunch_VS2017_3.11.0.8.msi
http://downloads.ncrunch.net/NCrunch_VS2017_3.11.0.8.zip

If not, I may need to get a sample solution from you, or steps to reproduce the problem from a project template. Sorry, it doesn't help when MS introduce massive changes to the assembly referencing system between the last preview build and the RTM :(
thijstijsma
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 3, 2017 12:42:07 PM(UTC)

Unfortunately, this doesn't fix it.
I've sent you a sample solution through the contact form.

If you need to discuss the contents with me, please only do so in direct mail contact as opposed to the forum.
Remco
#9 Posted : Monday, September 4, 2017 7:17:19 AM(UTC)

These fixes have now been released with v3.11.

thijstijsma and I had an offline discussion about this problem. In their case, the problem disappeared after cleaning up the obj/bin directories and the NCrunch cache file. I suspect that it may have been caused by old/invalid state in the project.assets.json file.
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
mc-clasoft on 11/12/2017(UTC)
thijstijsma
#10 Posted : Monday, September 4, 2017 7:40:34 AM(UTC)

The problem did not disappear after deleting the NCrunch cache folder. I tried that first.
Afterwards I deleted both the bin/obj folders and the NCrunch .project/.solution files.

Unfortunately I didn't do that in two steps, so I don't know which one was problematic.
1 user thanked thijstijsma for this useful post.
Remco on 9/4/2017(UTC)