Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
NCrunch does not honor the max timeout and runs tests forever
Remco
#21 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2017 5:49:13 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 752 time(s) in 717 post(s)
Thanks for all the detailed information you've provided here, and for your effort in building the sample solution to reproduce the issue.

It's going to take a while to figure this one out, so I'm going to track this internally and work on it as time allows. I hope that the 3.12.0.3 build improves some of the performance for you in general. There are more performance improvements that I'd like to introduce in 3.12.. I think we'll just have to see how much time allows.
Remco
#22 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:24:05 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 752 time(s) in 717 post(s)
I've figured this one out. The lost thread is caused by an OutOfMemoryException. I'm not sure how it's possible that this exception takes out only a thread and not the whole process, but it's the reason for the hang.

I've found a performance issue in the NCrunch runtime code that allocates more objects than it's supposed to. This means that the runner is allocating around 5 times as much memory as it should be in this use case. After fixing this issue, the runner uses a bit over 2GB for the whole 4k test run, which is still too much memory for an x86 process but it looks like the allocations are now entirely intentional and cannot be easily eliminated. I'll get you a fixed build as soon as I can. I also recommend using an x64 test process for this project.