Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Issue with similar assembly names
Mark
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:25:42 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
NCrunch does not work with a few portions of our project and it basically fails silently refusing to build a few modules. What appears to be causing the problem is if two assemblies in the code base have the same local name but distinct global names. For instance, a module called GUI.Support would cause a problem if another assembly was called Domain.Support. I was told by a colleague that he found that renaming either Support corrects the issue. Is this a known issue with a possible work around or a potential for a fix in a new version?

If this is not easily reproducible I can spend some time to build a test project that exhibits this behavior.
Thanks,
Mark Smith
Remco
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:06:58 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Mark,

Thanks for reporting this issue. I've heard reports that NCrunch has some issues with projects that have the exact same name, but this one does sound new to me. Would you be able to submit a bug report using the NCrunch menu? The attached log file should hopefully give me the information I need to fix this one.

Cheers,

Remco
Mark
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:20:51 PM(UTC)

I've hit the report bug in the menu after running the tests. I'm not sure what was in the log and if that's enough. I've titled the bug report "Tests not attempting to run possibly due to similar assembly names". Please let me know if I can be of any assistance reproducing it or answering questions as I am really looking forward to trying out NCrunch for my development.
Thanks,
Mark Smith
Remco
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:27:49 PM(UTC)

Thanks for sending that through. I'll take a look and will follow up if I need any more information :)
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
Mark on 3/1/2012(UTC)
Remco
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2012 10:55:51 PM(UTC)

Hi Mark -

Thanks again for sending through the bug report. I've had a good look through it and identified the compilation issues, though I'm wondering if you'd be able to provide a bit more information to help me reproduce it.

Which similarly named assemblies seemed to be causing the problem for you? And what was the renaming pattern you used that corrected it? Also, does changing the output file name of any of these projects make any difference?

I'm not sure if this is a reasonable/realistic request, but if there's any way you can reproduce the issue in a small solution that you can share, this would be hugely helpful.

Thanks!

Remco
Remco
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 1:44:23 AM(UTC)

For anyone interested, Mark and I identified this issue to be a problem where NCrunch would fail to build a project that is referencing two different projects with the same project file name. A fix has been bundled into the 1.38b release due out this week.
Mark
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 1:23:44 PM(UTC)

Thanks again for all your help Remco!

Just for sake of publicly stating the resolution, I wanted to give an example the path/solution structure that caused the problem in case anyone else runs into this problem in their current build. I had two projects both named support. IE. Framework\support\support.csproj and Domain\support\support.csproj. When referencing these projects from the framework\support folder I had two project references. One was ..\..\Domain\support\ and the other was ..\support\. These references ended up not being able to be resolved properly and showed errors in the NCrunch logs.

As a work around for anyone currently running against this problem. Renaming either of the assemblies allowed NCrunch to function properly.

Mark
Remco
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2012 12:21:51 AM(UTC)

For anyone interested, 1.38b has just been released containing a fix for the above issue.