Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

NCrunch Builds and 'Hangs'
CodeAdze
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2018 10:30:15 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi, I'm having a problem with NCrunch. After opening my Solution NCrunch initializes ok but the first time you make a change and NCrunch has to do a build it stops responding.
I noticed that:
  • NCrunch shows that it builds forever (the build icon with it's orbitor never goes from the status bar).
  • NCrunch stops responding to changes in the code.
  • Clicking the Reset button on the Test window doesn't perform a reset (the ususl NCrunch startup message isn't displayed and the count up of loading projects doesn't happen).
  • The other control buttons on the Test window are visible and are shown active but don't work.
  • There is nothing listed in the NCrunch Processing Queue window.
  • Selecting the Disable NCrunch menu option doesn't disable NCrunch. The Disable NCrunch menu item gets rendered as disabled but the Enable NCrunch option is never displayed.

I have tried closing VS, removing all NCrunch files from the solution, uninstalling NCrunch, restarting my machine, reinstalling NCrunch and restarting VS but that didn't help. I am running Windows 10Pro, VS2017 Community edition, NCrunch V3.14.0.1.

Any help would be appreciate - thanks
CodeAdze
Remco
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2018 11:02:24 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for sharing this problem.

Do you also experience this with other solutions? Or does it just affect the one solution you're using?

Is this the first time NCrunch has been used on this solution? Or has it worked before?

How large is this solution in approximate number of projects?

Can you check your system's Event Log to see if there are any errors appearing during the build?
CodeAdze
#3 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 5:51:32 AM(UTC)

Hi Remco, thanks for getting back to me, the answers to your questions are below:

I only really work with one solution but testing NCrunch on some stuff I had the problem appears to be just with this one solution.

I built this solution from the begining with NCrunch and it's been working fine up until just recently.

The solution contains 14 projects. 1 WPF project and the rest class libarays.

VS isn't reporting anything in the event log and a manual build (VS F5) builds with out a problem.

Thanks again for your help.
CodeAdze
#4 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 6:22:44 AM(UTC)

Hi Remco,
I think I might have found what the problem is, it appears that it could be the ransomware protection inside my antivirus software which is weird as these two have been happily playing on the same box for ages now. I have turned the ransomware protection off and NCrunch appears to be back to its usual self so I will use it for a while just to make sure it's all good and let you know.
Remco
#5 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 8:02:27 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
CodeAdze;12023 wrote:
Hi Remco,
I think I might have found what the problem is, it appears that it could be the ransomware protection inside my antivirus software which is weird as these two have been happily playing on the same box for ages now. I have turned the ransomware protection off and NCrunch appears to be back to its usual self so I will use it for a while just to make sure it's all good and let you know.

It often feels quite surprising when this sort of thing comes up, but it's actually pretty common.

NCrunch has a whole world of platform integration, right through the build system, manipulation of PDBs and DLLs, hierarchical spawning of processes, and execution of dynamic and user code. You could take any one of these things and security software would consider it suspect. Sadly, there isn't really any working around the false positives. We try to report them where we can, but there are now literally hundreds of widely used scanning and security products and many of them are particularly bureaucratic when it comes to submitting false positives. I would suggest reporting this to the vendor of your ransomware protection software, as I doubt they intend for their software to behave this way.