Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Server License under Linux
mayqueen
#1 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2018 10:01:33 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi,

we just bought few licenses of ncrunch for our developers. My task is to setup server license to manage these. We would like to have it on a docker container on Linux. I was able to run Linux container with .NET Core (thanks to one of dockerfiles from Microsoft, published on github), but I have no idea how to 'execute' ncrunch server license. I am quite new to .NET (I am Linux Admin) and documentation says nothing about configuring license server under Linux.
Please advise.
Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2018 10:13:55 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
Hi,

The NCrunch License Server was built in v4.0 of the .NET Framework. It is an MVC ASP.NET application designed to run on an IIS Server. To my knowledge, there is no way that it can run on .NET Core. Sorry, but I don't think there is any way to accomplish what you are trying to do.
mayqueen
#3 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2018 1:06:08 PM(UTC)

Remco;12202 wrote:
Hi,

The NCrunch License Server was built in v4.0 of the .NET Framework. It is an MVC ASP.NET application designed to run on an IIS Server. To my knowledge, there is no way that it can run on .NET Core. Sorry, but I don't think there is any way to accomplish what you are trying to do.

Ok, so it is not possible with .NET Core, but what about mono? As far as I understand, it allows to run MVC ASP.NET applications on Linux and it doesnt require application re-writing.
Remco
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2018 12:23:05 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
mayqueen;12205 wrote:

Ok, so it is not possible with .NET Core, but what about mono? As far as I understand, it allows to run MVC ASP.NET applications on Linux and it doesnt require application re-writing.

Sorry, if my understanding is correct, this would mean that the license server source code itself would need to be compiled using the Mono compiler and an entirely separate parallel distribution released. No such distribution exists for the NCrunch License Server. I recommend using a server capable of running IIS or another web server capable of hosting a standard ASP.NET application running on the .NET Framework.
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
mayqueen on 5/19/2018(UTC)
mayqueen
#5 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2018 10:28:22 AM(UTC)

For others looking for an answer:

We were able to run ncrunch server license using mono, but it doesn't work properly because of urls (to be more specific: problem was with slash / backslash, they are different for linux). I got an error "System.IO.IOException: File path must be absolute with disk root: /ncrunch/bin/NCrunch.LicenseServer.dll" .
I couldn't find any config file where I could change this. So, we will configure Windows Server with IIS for this.