Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Release Cadence
fourpastmidnight
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 3:46:40 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Remco:

I want to start by saying: Thanks! I love NCrunch and all the work you and your team put into it and I look forward to each new release.

However, I am frustrated with the perceived lack of cadence of releases. There aren't bi-weekly releases, monthly releases, or any other cadence with a semblance of regularity. I'm wondering if there as a way for you and your team to better deliver more regular, frequent updates to NCrunch?

Or does the nature of the bugs/features you and your team are developing make this request an impossibility?

Best regards,

Craig
Remco
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 9:23:27 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Craig,

I do apologise for this, as our releases really are all over the place.

The main reason for this is the nature of the work on NCrunch. Most software can be developed on its own timetable, where features are the priority and releases are organised around them. This makes it possible to set a approximate goals for releases (i.e. every 2 weeks, every month, etc). NCrunch is very different to this, as around 60-80% of the work on NCrunch isn't actually on product features - it's compatibility and integration work with ever evolving platforms and other toolsets.

Some compatibility and integration tasks can appear on the board very suddenly and be very large. These tend to be tasks that can't be half finished, as otherwise people will immediately experience problems with them and we are left scrambling to try and provide workarounds for these problems when we're already aware of them and are in the process of fixing them. So pushing this sort of work early only creates frustration for everyone.

My personal preference would be to push a new release every 2-3 months containing finished features. In my experience, this is enough time to take something from concept through to solid delivery with enough time for dogfooding and proper testing. In practice, some of our release cycles can be as short as just a few days or a couple of weeks if there's a major breaking change in the ecosystem that we need to address.
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
eriove on 8/29/2018(UTC)
fourpastmidnight
#3 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 2:44:08 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Remco:

Thanks for the explanation. No apology is necessary. As I stated, I was frustrated--but apparently due to unrealistic expectations! But that's what prompted me to write my question--to have a better understanding so that I can set more realistic expectations. I can appreciate the nature of the work you guys are doing is not something that's easily planned into nice little slices of time like many software products. Having attempted to write a few trivial VS extensions, I can appreciate that it's no small feat for a product like NCrunch. And the fact that you support so many versions of Visual Studio, I can't even begin to imagine the compatibility and integration work that takes place to make this all possible.

Again, thank you for all the hard work; and I'm looking forward to the next release!

Best regards,

Craig

2 users thanked fourpastmidnight for this useful post.
Remco on 7/13/2018(UTC), eriove on 8/29/2018(UTC)