Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Is NCrunch still being developed?
damianh
#1 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2023 2:01:06 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi, long time ncrunch user here and am wondering if the product is still being actively developed? It's been quite some time since a major release. It does seems things are maintained (nothing specifically has broken) but feature activity seems to have completely stopped and uservoice doesn't seem to be managed (e.g. there are requests several years old)

Cheers.
Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2023 10:00:09 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
damianh;16946 wrote:
Hi, long time ncrunch user here and am wondering if the product is still being actively developed? It's been quite some time since a major release. It does seems things are maintained (nothing specifically has broken) but feature activity seems to have completely stopped and uservoice doesn't seem to be managed (e.g. there are requests several years old)

Cheers.

Hi, thanks for posting!

This is the sort of comment I dread waking up to see, but it's certainly a fair impression given the circumstances.

Right now we are tying up the loose ends on 3 years of major development that are set to go out soon. The problem with this particular project was that for the features involved, we haven't had a practical way to release them incrementally. This means we're going to end up with the biggest release in the product's history. It looks like we won't have this out in time for Christmas, but it should be worth the wait.
2 users thanked Remco for this useful post.
UppSol on 12/2/2023(UTC), damianh on 12/4/2023(UTC)
damianh
#3 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2023 8:49:31 AM(UTC)

Thank you for the fast response and the clarity; apologies for the FUDish tone.

Looking forward to the next major release!

Just a random suggestion - major releases will often come with some instability will need some maturing out. Totally normal. It would be great if v5 (?) could be installed side-by-sidewith with NCrunch 4.x allowing us to choose which one to use at any given moment without install/uninstall cycles.
Remco
#4 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2023 11:03:51 PM(UTC)

damianh;16951 wrote:

Just a random suggestion - major releases will often come with some instability will need some maturing out. Totally normal. It would be great if v5 (?) could be installed side-by-sidewith with NCrunch 4.x allowing us to choose which one to use at any given moment without install/uninstall cycles.

V5 consists of a set of features that are overlaid on the existing V4 infrastructure. You've actually already been using V5, but the features are disabled using a software/compiler switch. This means that if the new features don't work correctly for you in V5, you'll be able to just switch them off and you'll have a normal V4 experience.
GlobalConcepts
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2024 12:43:07 PM(UTC)

@Remco:

Is there already a timeline when to expect that version 5 ...or a preview?
Remco
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2024 11:37:31 PM(UTC)

GlobalConcepts;16996 wrote:

Is there already a timeline when to expect that version 5 ...or a preview?

I wish there was, but every time I try to guess when it'll be ready, I end up getting it wrong.

I'll let you know as soon as we have something you can try.
willdean
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2024 9:11:26 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Up to you, of course, but you could perhaps grab half an hour away from the code to write a news posting? To me it's the combination of no new releases AND not even any news since last summer which makes people worry about abandonment. I'm not personally worried that nCrunch is abandoned, (though long term dependency on Visual Studio alone is definitely a risk), but I do think that annual subscriptions for software are a coin with two sides, i.e. they have expectations in both directions.
Remco
#8 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2024 7:20:54 AM(UTC)

willdean;16998 wrote:
Up to you, of course, but you could perhaps grab half an hour away from the code to write a news posting? To me it's the combination of no new releases AND not even any news since last summer which makes people worry about abandonment. I'm not personally worried that nCrunch is abandoned, (though long term dependency on Visual Studio alone is definitely a risk), but I do think that annual subscriptions for software are a coin with two sides, i.e. they have expectations in both directions.

I'll try to do better than that :)
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
willdean on 2/2/2024(UTC)
willdean
#9 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2024 8:17:44 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Remco;16999 wrote:

I'll try to do better than that :)

Wow! If I'd known my posting would have had such a galvanising effect I'd have written it a year ago. ;-)

Well done.
Remco
#10 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2024 8:22:37 AM(UTC)

willdean;17000 wrote:

Wow! If I'd known my posting would have had such a galvanising effect I'd have written it a year ago. ;-)

Well done.

I'll be honest with you. I'd been trying to get 4.19 out all week. It was already happening.

But yeah, waking up every day to see the only NCrunch related comments being about how they wish it supported Rider, this stuff has eaten at me a bit. We're close enough now that we can publicly commit to it. Let's ship.
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
Anslant on 2/16/2024(UTC)