Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Why does the RDI trace sometimes stop in the middle of a method?
Tim Long
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 9, 2024 9:08:08 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
RDI is a very exciting new feature! Well done Remco.

I have one question though. The trace sometimes seems to just stop in the middle of a method. Consider this method that was exercised in 4 tests. In the first 3 instances, the trace continues right to the exit point of the method:

However on the last instance 4/4, it looks like it just stopped in the middle somewhere. There was no exception thrown. So why doesn't the trace go all the way tot he end of the method on the last run?

[img]https://imgur.com/a/zQWxglL[/img]
Remco
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 9, 2024 10:44:23 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting.

My guess here would be that you hit the method data limit. Normally NCrunch should report this with a warning showing up attached to the frame, but it seems that isn't working correctly here. There are plans to improve visibility for when data limits get hit. You should be able to confirm whether the data limit was involved by increasing your RDI method data limit using an override or setting.

Another possibility that something went wrong internally when reading the log file and NCrunch wasn't able to reconstruct the rest of this frame.

Would you mind boosting the data limit to see if you get a difference in behaviour? This method doesn't seem very big ... unless the limit is very low, I wouldn't expect to hit the data limit yet.
Tim Long
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 10, 2024 3:38:04 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Remco;17110 wrote:

Would you mind boosting the data limit to see if you get a difference in behaviour? This method doesn't seem very big ... unless the limit is very low, I wouldn't expect to hit the data limit yet.

My pleasure. I increased the method limit by a factor of 10 from 100000 to 1000000. This didn't resolve anything, in fact it seems to make it worse. The trace now stops on the second line of the method on the if statement, line 200 in my original screen shot.

So then I went exploring and clicked on a few other methods and a lot of them seemed to be missing some information. Then I went back to the original location and, lo and behold, it was now showing a full trace for aqll 4 runs. Now, I can't make it not show the full trace. Strange!

But then I looked at a different solution and there, I was getting the warning about the method data limit, so I increased it by two orders of magnitude and then all worked as expected.

So I basically have no idea what happened ;-)

It's not a showstopper but just thought I'd flag it up.
Remco
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 10, 2024 3:51:53 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Tim Long;17111 wrote:

It's not a showstopper but just thought I'd flag it up.

I find this interesting. You mentioned that you managed to get two completely different results from the overlay, even though the test hadn't been rerun? So it was basically showing different data when re-opening the same log?

I expect issues like this will be under-reported because they are not critical, and many people will just ignore them and continue, but we still need to fix them :)