Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

RdiConfigured key in config
MatthewSteeples
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2024 9:52:32 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Apologies if this is in the docs somewhere. I've looked but I can't find it.

In our ncrunchsolution file that's checked in to source control there is a key labelled RdiConfigured. This is separate to the EnableRDI key. What's the purpose of this key?
Remco
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2024 12:51:54 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1259 time(s) in 1172 post(s)
This key is used to control the RDI wizard that pops up for any solution that hasn't had RDI specifically enabled/disabled before. If you remove it, you'll get the wizard showing again. Somewhere we needed to store this flag and the cache file didn't seem appropriate, given that it is configuration related.
MatthewSteeples
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2024 12:58:51 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Thanks for that. I haven't thought this through thoroughly, but it may make more sense for these to be user-level config values rather than shared ones by default. Main reason I'm suggesting that is you end up with a case where RDI is enabled for a project (by someone else) so you don't get prompted for the configuration, but because the configuration box has never appeared on your computer you haven't had the opportunity to set up storage.
Remco
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2024 1:06:09 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1259 time(s) in 1172 post(s)
MatthewSteeples;17332 wrote:
Thanks for that. I haven't thought this through thoroughly, but it may make more sense for these to be user-level config values rather than shared ones by default. Main reason I'm suggesting that is you end up with a case where RDI is enabled for a project (by someone else) so you don't get prompted for the configuration, but because the configuration box has never appeared on your computer you haven't had the opportunity to set up storage.

Conversely, many teams use the same settings and would expect their configuration to be consistent. If one team member has gone through the RDI config process, others may expect this to be done for them. I guess there isn't really a right answer here, as it ultimately comes down to guessing how people want things to work on their side. A few things to consider:

- The wizard isn't required to use RDI. You can just skip it entirely and set EnableRdi = true, then everything will proceed with default RDI settings
- The RDI wizard is included as part of the wizards that can be kicked off via the menu option
- Its actually possible to move the RdiConfigured setting to the .user file and it will function the same way. However, the wizard won't do this for you automatically and you can't do it in the config UI (you'll have to edit the files directly)