Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

NCrunch Build Failing With RamDisk + NuGet Enable Restore
BookSwapSteve
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2012 1:24:03 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've been having issues today with NCrunch randomly failing to build my project.

It initially starts of ok, I make some changes, NCrunch reports 1 or 2 "projects are failing the build". No errors highlighted with VS build or R#.

I hit resynchronise or reload VS and it will build and test, then when I make changes it fails again.

I had a look on the troubleshooting build issues wiki page and nothing helped, after a bit of digging in the NCrunch Processing Queue I discovered the issue.

I'm using a 1G RAM disk for NCrunch...

[13:57:25.8811-BuildTask-67] ERROR (Internal): System.IO.IOException: There is not enough space on the disk.

The Ram disk was indeed full, full of NCrunch/VS files.

When VS is closed and re-opened the disk gets emptied and then filled again. 10 projects, 10 subfolders below the NCrunch\xxxxx folder. Taking up the full 1G, if I compare that to another project of similar size it only uses 72MB which is more what I was expecting.

I've just enabled NuGet restore on that second project and it now fills the Ram disk taking up the 982MB that were available.

Steve.
Remco
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2012 9:35:41 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
Hi Steve -

There is currently a known problem with disk consumption when using a number of Nuget packages with NCrunch - http://forum.ncrunch.net...h-a-200mb-solution.aspx

I'm currently working on a fix for this. Meanwhile I suggest moving your solution off the RAM drive temporarily, as out of disk space errors can be quite cryptic and can cause instability.

Cheers,

Remco
BookSwapSteve
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:02:33 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Generally I'm not seeing any issues with NuGet other than this one where the NuGet Enable Restore option was enabled, and I've fixed that by disabling it :-D, every other project with NuGet in is being well behaved (or at least not noticeably badly behaved!).

Keep up the good work, Loving NCrunch, it's had a huge positive impact on how I work!

Steve.
1 user thanked BookSwapSteve for this useful post.
Remco on 5/10/2012(UTC)
Remco
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 11:27:59 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
For anyone interested, the recently released v1.39b contains a fix that should greatly reduce the disk consumption of solutions that are using Nuget.