Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Macro support
crmckenzie
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2012 8:22:15 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'd like to run a local commit every time NCrunch has a successful test run. It strikes me that the easiest way to accomplish this is to run a powershell script before and after a successful (or failed) test run.

This could be done by convention--
ncrunch.beforeTestRun.ps1
ncrunch.afterTestRun.ps1
ncrunch.afterTestRunFailure.ps1
ncrunch.afterTestRunSuccess.ps1

the argument to the powershell function could be an object with metadata about the test run.
Remco
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2012 10:49:13 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1259 time(s) in 1172 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting!

This is an interesting idea. At the moment NCrunch isn't designed to be able to cleanly handle a feature like this as the definition of a 'test run' can actually be very subjective in the context of true continuous testing, but I do have very long term plans to introduce changes that should in theory make things like this possible.

I am, however, quite interested in your objectives behind using a source control system in this way. Is it with the intention of creating a more reliable undo/redo mechanism, or to share code with teammates?

Cheers,

Remco
crmckenzie
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2012 11:12:43 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm interested in teaching courses on TDD and other patterns and practices. My idea is that I could be demonstrating the techniques, and each time the tests complete successfully I would issue a command to commit to my DCVS. At the end of the course, I could make the DCVS available to the students and they would have a fairly granular record of all the changes that occurred in the code. Optimally this would work in conjunction with another requested feature I saw in the forums in which the test-run would be kicked off on a Save instead of manually or "by the keystroke" as seems to be the case right now.

I can think of other uses as well--collecting data on the percentage of time the local build spends in a green state, for example. Once NCrunch begins executing powershell scripts, I can pretty much do anything I can think of that would be interesting. That information could be useful in measuring the complexity of a given change to the code and the associated test infrastructure. Rather than submit every little thing I can think of to you, if I could just tap into NCrunch "events" via powershell scripts located in my solution and project folders and do anything I wanted.

Combined with NuGet, such an idea could foster an entire ecosystem of NCrunch/Powershell plugins and libraries. Sort of an "enable-the-community-and-they-will-come" approach I guess.

Glad you liked the idea!
1 user thanked crmckenzie for this useful post.
Remco on 5/25/2012(UTC)