Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Build upon save / continue build of old snapshot.
GreenMoose
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2012 1:31:27 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 64 post(s)
I have a large unit test project which takes ~30secs to build according to NCrunch process window. I would appreciate some feature so I can trigger the build upon save, or if the build has some "grace period" before collection new changes, so I can continue working while the build is running but still see results of my "previous" work.

Now it behaves something like this:
Create test 1 -> build starts -> Start working on test 2 which breaks build -> tests are not run until I complete test 2.

But I would want something like this:
Create test 1 -> build starts, queues tests for that snapshot -> Start working on test 2 while test1 is built/run -> result of test1 is shown -> test 2 compiles -> build is started etc....
Remco
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:32:08 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting!

The ability to run tests on save is sitting very high on the request list. Unfortunately it's quite challenging to make it work intuitively with the current engine of NCrunch, as there are a few factors that need to be taken into account (such as code versioning etc). I hope to introduce a solution to this in future.

The 'snapshot' approach to running tests is an interesting one (and quite exciting actually). So far I haven't steered NCrunch in this direction largely out of indecision for how to best choose when snapshots should be run. There may be more opportunities to look at this model later as the core engine matures. Something I have also been looking into is the ability to regularly 'interrupt' out-of-date builds that are in progress .. although this will require considerable testing to ensure stability.

If the option is available to you, I have to recommend breaking up your unit test project into smaller pieces. Regardless of the model used by engine to build the project, a 30 second build time is a heavy drag on any development and a real killer of your testing experience. Because of their horizontal structure, test projects are often quite easy to break up. NCrunch will always perform better with a large number of small projects as opposed to a small number of large projects.

Cheers,

Remco
kay.one
#3 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 9:45:14 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Any news about running tests on save? right now I can't keep ncrunch running since its a bit too slow.
Remco
#4 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 11:59:46 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi,

At the moment there aren't plans to look at this in the immediate future due to some serious structural changes that would need to be made to the engine before it would work intuitively. If you find NCrunch too slow to run tests continuously, I recommend setting it in manual mode and binding an easy key to 'Run all tests'. I also recommend having a look at the performance tuning guide which has some good tips on how to improve the speed of the engine - http://www.ncrunch.net/documentation/guides_performance-tuning.

Cheers,

Remco