Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Debug namespace problem
springjazzy
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:29:24 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Good day!

I remember, when I've used NCrunch beta, where was an issue on debugging application executed from NCrunch made binaries - Immediate window somehow didn't recognize namespaces (for example System.Windows.Forms). It's still here in 1.42. Would it be resolved?
Remco
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2012 9:44:57 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi,

This is a problem caused by the PDB manipulation performed by NCrunch. It's been around for a while, but it's a very tough one to fix. Because the V1 builds need to be as stable as possible, I can't risk further changes in this area until the V2 release. Sorry, I know it's annoying.

Cheers,

Remco
siywilliams
#3 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2012 11:49:40 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

The line "where was an issue on debugging application executed from NCrunch made binaries" grabbed my attention.

Although I don't understand the original posters comments completely, it does look like they are having a similar issue to ourselves.

It's not consistent, but we seem to get project assemblies copied to the root of our project, sometimes it also copies the assembly's xml file alongside it. It can range from a couple of assemblies to 10s.

We only tend to notice when we commit some code which is when Git lists any untracked files that can then contain some of our compiled assemblies (but in the root, not in our bin folders).

Remco, is that the side effect of your pdb manipulation? Or was that repy to something different entirely?

Thanks,

Simon

Remco
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:40:34 AM(UTC)

Hi Simon -

The problem you're experiencing is something different. There seems to be a state related issue somewhere within MSBuild where in rare conditions two concurrently running build processes can interfere with one another. It's very inconsistent and as yet I haven't been able to track it down - it may not be possible to fix it.

Are you running any kind of build tool (other than NCrunch) that repeatedly executes builds around your solution directory? Also, which version of Visual Studio are you using?

Cheers,

Remco
siywilliams
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:03:17 AM(UTC)

Remco,

Sorry for hijacking a thread then.

We are using Visual Studio Premium 2012, and the only things of note we use within it are Resharper 7.0.1 and Nuget 2.1.

I personally don't use any of the test runners in Resharper but a few of my colleagues do.

Any more information that might help you track down the issue I'd be glad to provide it.

Cheers,
Simon
Remco
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:22:17 AM(UTC)

Thanks Simon. Is the issue seriously impacting your work in any way? Or is it just irritating?
siywilliams
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:27:02 AM(UTC)

On large commits it is quite easy to miss the assemblies and check them into to source control; so not serious, just irritating.

I have been using NCrunch for around 4 months now, and it has only just started happening - maybe the last week for me, and a few weeks earlier for some others.

We upgraded to VS2012 around 2 months ago and moved to the latest Resharper at the same time.
Remco
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:16:04 AM(UTC)

Thanks. I'll keep looking into the issue to see if I can find a clear recreation pattern or a way to solve it. Do let me know if you find any more information about what is causing it to happen on your side.

Cheers,

Remco
siywilliams
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 6:33:06 PM(UTC)

I've just upgraded to 1.45.0.28 and now the problem seems to manifest a bit more aggressively. Instead of a few dlls appearing throughout the project folder we now get up to hundreds in a short space of time.
yanglee
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 6:51:26 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I suspect this issue is related to NuGet.

I experienced this 1~3 times several months ago. But didn't experience it again since then.

But on the second day after upgraded to NuGet 2.6, I found my Git repository exploded from 30MB to 50MB. I checked my projects, and found the content of many NuGet packages were copied to project folders.

NuGet released a fix quickly after 2.6, I don't know what they have exactly fixed, but I haven't experienced that again since the fix (7 days ago).

Cheers,

Yang
siywilliams
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 8:25:00 PM(UTC)

@yanglee what version of the NuGet Package Manager extension are you using?

I've got 2.6.40627.9000 installed.
yanglee
#12 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 8:33:34 PM(UTC)

@siywilliams, I'm also using NuGet 2.6.40627.9000. Below is my system configurations:

NuGet 2.6.40627.9000
Resharper 8 Beta
NCrunch 1.45.0.12
Visual Studio 2012
Windows 8 64bit

Edit: Just upgraded NCrunch to version 1.45.0.28. I will post here if I run into this issue again.
Remco
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 10:21:27 PM(UTC)

Something else to look out for is whether your NCrunch configuration has any dependencies on files derived from your local build process.

If you run a build and this triggers NCrunch to start working, then most likely you have an output from your foreground build that has been specified as an input for NCrunch through either a project file or the 'Additional files to include' configuration setting. Solutions with this problem have a much higher chance of the DLL copying issue appearing, because every time you run a foreground build, it will trigger NCrunch thus creating a situation where the builds can overlap.

It's worth checking to see if this is the case for your solution. The best way to resolve the issue is to track down the build output files being referenced by NCrunch and remove them from the project file(s) and 'Additional files to include' settings. You'll know when you've fixed it, as you'll be able to build your solution without NCrunch kicking off.
yanglee
#14 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 12:56:24 AM(UTC)

@Remco,

I don't have any files in the 'Additional files to include' configuration. I experienced the issue 8~9 days ago after upgraded to NuGet 2.6 from 2.5 (haven't experienced this again since upgraded to new version of NuGet 7 days ago).

Based on my git commit history, the issue happened when I upgraded NuGet packages (the upgrade took a long time as always, about 30~60 minutes for about 70 projects). If my memory serves me right, only some of the upgraded NuGet packages were affected.
Remco
#15 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 6:21:46 AM(UTC)

Thanks Yang. The update of Nuget packages involves changing files that NCrunch does reference, so this would have triggered NCrunch to kick off. I'm not completely sure if Nuget performs build logic during an update, but if so, this could explain a possible cross-build issue. Do you remember if the issue appeared multiple times since the package update, or only during the package update?
yanglee
#16 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 6:35:43 AM(UTC)

Quote:
Do you remember if the issue appeared multiple times since the package update, or only during the package update?

I think it happened only during the package update.

Not a serious issue to me. The last time I experienced it was several months ago. I removed the wrong files and git commits, and everything back to normal.
1 user thanked yanglee for this useful post.
Remco on 7/8/2013(UTC)