Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Allow "Debug" runner mode by telling VS to attach to the test runner
alexnorcliffe
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 11, 2011 12:26:49 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Despite 1.33b being awesome, I'm using it in parallel with R# 5.1's runner at the moment because it has some killer features, one of which is debugging a test.

NCrunch's red cross markers to say exactly where the code failed are brilliant, but the tooltip is tricky (really small mouse hit area and you can't dig into the information) and it doesn't give you any information about variable values at the point where the test failed.

To be honest, this alone (without a debugging session) would be a godsend: hovering over code after a failed test run, to be able to watch the values, would be an incredible time saver.
But I appreciate this is wildly difficult to do without VS being in 'attached mode', and would be akin to rewriting VS's watch system. However, at least if VS were instead to be able to easily attach to the NCrunch test runner - perhaps (oo!) with NCrunch having automatically set breakpoints on the lines it already knows were associated with the failures, that would be like a single button to take you straight into a scenario where you can investigate the problem.

p.s. ..Can I buy shares in NCrunch? :P
Remco
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 11, 2011 8:53:01 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Funny you should suggest this ... as it exactly matches what I have planned for debugging support in future (the one-click break into a debug session thing that is, not the rewriting of VS tooltips - that's really hard!).

I'm glad you really like the tool! No shares are up for grabs I'm afraid, but I very much value your comments and any defect reports you might have. Also, don't be afraid to recommend it to others who may find it useful :)
dhgoldman
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 4, 2011 3:52:51 PM(UTC)

+1 for debugging support; NCrunch is great, but like alexnorcliffe, I have to switch to another tool when I need to debug a failing test, and I'd love to be able to use NCrunch for that. Is there a timeframe for delivery?
Remco
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 4, 2011 10:25:48 PM(UTC)

It's hard to make promises on a feature like this, as it's a bit tied in with some engine workflow changes that need to be introduced ... and the priority still needs to sit with making sure the engine is free of compatibility problems. My current goal is to have a build with this early in the new year.
soundcode
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2012 7:30:21 PM(UTC)

+1 from me. Have been really enjoying NCrunch so far, and the ability to launch a test in the debugger would make this an awesome tool.
Remco
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:27:31 AM(UTC)

For anyone interested, 1.37b has just been released featuring the ability to debug and break into tests :)
alexnorcliffe
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:54:29 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Works awesomely, btw. Great feeling to see a feature req make it into the product so quickly (this past 6 months has flown by)
1 user thanked alexnorcliffe for this useful post.
Remco on 3/15/2012(UTC)