Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

References from early adopters?
bodie
#1 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2011 2:35:48 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I am recommending to my Director that we make NCrunch a part of our toolkit. He asked if there are any adopters we could talk to before making that decision. I know the product is free at the moment, so it may seem unnecessary, but I've been asked to find out.
Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2011 5:34:27 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
I've tweeted out a request to see if anyone is keen to help post a few references here. Hopefully we'll get some posts soon - otherwise I'm going to feel very disappointed :)

I'm not sure if it counts to have a reference from the author of the tool, but a commercial project I'm working on has literally been brought back from the brink by NCrunch. The project has approx 300k lines of code and around 4000 tests, with a total end-to-end execution time of more than 2 hours. Before all the team members started using NCrunch, it was nearly impossible to check code in without either massive productivity reduction (by needing to wait 2 hours) or lots of build breakages. Many people look at NCrunch as simply being a tool for unit testing, but the prioritisation and parallel processing features make it much more than that.
AndrewSwerlick
#3 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2011 5:59:03 PM(UTC)

I've been using it for about a month now, and I've found it's really changing my development process. The line by line code coverage analysis is almost a replacement for booting up the debugger, and it's surprising how much time is saved just by being able to continue coding while your tests are running.

I've also found it very stable. It's never slowed down VS, or crashed hard enough to stop me from working. The only issues I've had with it have been the result of my unique development requirements. I work with SharePoint2010 alot, and NCrunch has trouble running tests that directly interact with sharepoint, or for objects that are already in the GAC. However, neither of these are show stoppers, and it works great for the rest of my code.
christofr
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 10:37:59 AM(UTC)

I arrived here via Jon Skeet - with a recommendation: http://twitter.com/#!/jonskeet/status/117859920602349568
AndreJ
#5 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2011 2:01:25 PM(UTC)

I'm responsible for the development tools at our company. We are five developers working on a product that we've currently spent about 2500-3000 hours on. When I found ncrunch and tested it I immediately added it to our toolset. The time savings compared to other unit test tools are not even comparable. A second benefit we are enjoying is that my team is relatively new to the world of unit tests and ncrunch aids greately in the learning process.

This is without a doubt a must have in the toolbox, great work!
rlarno
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2011 11:04:53 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I was asked to coach a team that had stalled and failed to deliver features. Though the resolution of their problems also involved many small changes in their 'process'. Including converting Management, the team also had failed at keeping up with their unit tests. They had used Scrum and were now on Kanban, they had a Definition of Done stating code should be unit-tested. But due to Management failing to see the benefits and the usual time-pressure, overhead and general bad practices, the team had abandoned unit-testing.

I discovered NCrunch and introduced it into the team, and it immediately re-invigorated the team to fix their current tests and start writing more tests again. Clearly while developing and seeing some tests break when new features were developed, they had strong stories and evidence of the value and benefits of unit-tests. The team is now happily crunching away.

(Still need to convert some of the management of going TDD instead of TAD)