Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Ncrunch died on me
darrenoakey
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:08:20 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Wierd one -

I installed ncrunch in windows XP - and it was working perfectly.

My box was rebuilt to be 64 bit windows 7, but I had the same home directory, and all my data was preserved.

When I installed VS2010, and then ncrunch - and then ran it, it didn't ask me how many processors I should be using - so it must have dug up the configuration from somewhere - however now it just doesn't work at all - the menus are there - but asking it to run tests does nothing, and no dots appear in code. When I go to nunit configuration, I just get an empty property box on the screen.

I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling with no luck. Where's the conflg stored, so I can clear it, and try that?

Thanks,
Darren
Remco
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:25:51 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1255 time(s) in 1168 post(s)
Hi Darren,

I had a look at the log file you sent through, and it looks like your rebuilt system has some interesting security configuration. NCrunch is falling over while trying to store data in C:\ProgramData. Does the account you're using have access to this area? If not, try running VS as an administrator to see if this makes a difference.

NCrunch stores a config file adjacent to every solution it is used for (nCrunch.crunchsolution.local.xml), and a global configuration file under <currentuser>\AppData\Roaming\NCrunch\globalconfig.crunch.xml. In theory, deleting both these files should be like a complete reset. I don't think the installer will wipe the global config file, but I'll make a note to fix this as I'm sure it will drive people crazy.
darrenoakey
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:45:51 AM(UTC)

hmm - ok - this is going to be a problem - I'm actually doing an evaluation of ncrunch for our firm - (I love it btw) - but almost all locations outside of %appdata% on c: are intenationally locked down. Is there a way to change where it stores the global config file?

Also - what you seiad seems fine - adjacent to each solution, and in currentuser\appdata\roaming... why would it be trying to write to C:\programdata?

Thanks,
Darren
darrenoakey
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:50:07 AM(UTC)

btw - ran it as administrator - and it works - in fact it now works without the administrator - it must have just needed to be able to write to that directory. However - this could actually be a show stopper for us - we can't release it into the general population unless it's compatible with our internal policies, and unfortunately, writing to c:\programdata is not :(

but thanks! I'm up and running.
Remco
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:44:20 PM(UTC)

Good to hear :) Don't worry too much about the wider adoption issue. I'll include a fix in the 1.34b release due out for release within the next week.
Remco
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:48:29 PM(UTC)

Ok - I've included a fix for this issue in 1.34b (released today). Please let me know if this solves it :)
rlarno
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:34:40 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi, I just installed NCrunch 1.34b on Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise and initially nothing happened as described above.
I also had to run Visual Studio 2010 as Administrator to get it to work. After having set up NCrunch, I was able to exit VS2010 and start normally and NCrunch worked fine.

Note that Windows 7 is very strict to write anything in the program files folders.

This must be the tool of the year!
'Look ma test are running without me touching the keyboard!'
1 user thanked rlarno for this useful post.
Remco on 9/27/2011(UTC)