Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

What does the Risk/Progress window indicate?
peterbailey
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:59:23 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi I am slightly confused by the NCrunch Risk/Progress window. I understand that it will be green or red depending on success/failure, but what do the two different shades of green indicate? If they are code coverage, which one is covered and which not? A key on this view would be useful. Also, why does the darker green section start in different areas on different solutions? Does the relative position of the two colours indicate anything?

Thanks

Peter.
Remco
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:25:43 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Peter,

Thanks for posting! I wrote up a wiki page describing how this indicator works. I hope this should answer your questions :)

Cheers,

Remco
peterbailey
#3 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2011 8:01:50 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Thanks, the onward link here was most helpful in helping me to understand what "Risk" was the risk of: http://blog.ncrunch.net/...ing-Is-Inefficient.aspx

Are there any plans to add an overall test status indicator into the main part of VS (like the small square box in Resharper in the top right, or maybe similar to Gary Bernhardt's Vim status bar http://katas.softwarecraftsmanship.org/?p=128 )? I've knocked up a VS addin that does this in the latter style using the left margin bar, but it can't compete on speed with NCrunch as it performs a solution-wide build and Gallio run. If there were plugin points to NCrunch that would let me intercept test pass/fail events, that would be great as I could then extend as I needed.

I find having to have a separate window open (usually un-docked to 2nd monitor so as not to clutter my main window which is 100% code) takes my eye off my code too much.

All that being said, top work on NCrunch, it's orders of magnitude better for the RGR cycle than having NUnit runner or Gallio on another monitor.
Remco
#4 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2011 9:48:51 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
I've had a huge number of requests for a corner status indicator, so I think I'd be crazy not to put it in there at some stage. I have to admit I've been avoiding it so far because of the usual VS integration nightmares, though it definitely doesn't require much imagination to see how useful it could be.

Something many people do is mount the risk/progress bar on the side of the IDE and make it very small so as to not obstruct the view of the code. This is, in truth, what the bar was designed for .. though it isn't always easy to make tool windows very compact.

Thanks for posting and I'm glad your enjoying the tool.