Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Force NCrunch to Output to Standard Console
KabanaSoft
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2013 10:19:53 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to force console output to appear in the regular 'Output' window rather than having to click the test itself and see the output.

This would be extremely useful so i view my Console.WriteLine output in real time in the Output window rather than having to wait until the test finishes and have to click on it to see the output. Also when my tests fail by throwing exceptions when using FluentAssertions, the code hangs on that line and anything i wrote to the console is lost when i stop debugging the test.

Please let me know if this is possible, and if not, if you guys can consider adding a setting to achieve this functionality in the next update.

Thanks!
Mark
Remco
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2013 11:42:15 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting!

At the moment, NCrunch executes tests in batches and processes the results from these tests in batches. The batching has several advantages (most notably that it operates faster), which is why NCrunch went down this road. However, as you've mentioned, there's a bit of a drawback in that you need to wait for the test to finish executing before you see any results from it.

There are long term plans to adjust the engine so that it will provide console/trace output in real-time using the Tests Window (i.e. while you have the test selected). While this is relatively simple to implement, it can only happen when the core engine itself is fast enough to be able to process these results in real-time without degrading performance. We're not quite there yet ... but we're getting closer!

Cheers,

Remco
KabanaSoft
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 2, 2014 11:53:39 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Any update on support for this?

Basically i just need to be able to see the Console.WriteLine output in real time ONLY when i'm debugging my unit tests. Obviously i wouldn't need to see this in the regular output window for unit tests that are running automatically in the background.

Would greatly help if you guys could add this in to an upcoming release.

Thanks!
Remco
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 3, 2014 1:37:08 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for coming back to this one. This feature hasn't been implemented yet, but you're welcome to vote for it in on uservoice if you like - https://ncrunch.uservoice.com.