Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum email notification doesn't work
yanglee
#1 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 10:13:49 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)
It seems the email notification feature of the forum doesn't work. I noticed this since about 1 week ago.

For example, I subscribed to the following 2 threads (one is posted by me), but didn't receive email notifications when new posts are made:
* NCrunch added extra bytes to file when moving
* Add ClearCoverageMarkers()

I used Microsoft's live mail to register on the forum. I checked my junk mail box, but it's not there. The last time I received email notification was July 29th.
Remco
#2 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 11:16:54 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
About two weeks ago, there was a change made to fix the problem of email notifications not working for the majority of users on this forum. My guess would be that this coincides with the notifications no longer working for you. The change involved the reply-to address from the forum changing from forum@ncrunch.net to forum@do-not-reply.ncrunch.net. Do you think it may be possible that this change in reply address has somehow triggered a spam filter on your mail host? If you have another address you can temporarily switch to, perhaps we can test this to see if the messages a being thrown out.

Something else to check is whether your forum profile has its notification preferences set to something sensible. A big problem behind notification issues was that new user accounts were defaulting to having notifications completely disabled at a global level. I don't think your account was affected by this (as you signed up very early), but it may be worth a look - http://forum.ncrunch.net/yaf_cp_profile.aspx.
yanglee
#3 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 11:38:30 AM(UTC)

Remco;4504 wrote:
About two weeks ago, there was a change made to fix the problem of email notifications not working for the majority of users on this forum. My guess would be that this coincides with the notifications no longer working for you. The change involved the reply-to address from the forum changing from forum@ncrunch.net to forum@do-not-reply.ncrunch.net. Do you think it may be possible that this change in reply address has somehow triggered a spam filter on your mail host? If you have another address you can temporarily switch to, perhaps we can test this to see if the messages a being thrown out.

The last email I received was from forum@ncrunch.net. I'm not sure if the new address could trigger a spam filter of Microsoft's live mail. I didn't create a filter that could filter this address. And my junk mail box doesn't contain the missed email notifications.

I'd like to test another email address from a different email provider. But how do I change my email address? Didn't find a button to do that.

Quote:
Something else to check is whether your forum profile has its notification preferences set to something sensible. A big problem behind notification issues was that new user accounts were defaulting to having notifications completely disabled at a global level. I don't think your account was affected by this (as you signed up very early), but it may be worth a look - http://forum.ncrunch.net/yaf_cp_profile.aspx.

My forum preferences seem to be OK.
Remco
#4 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 12:04:28 PM(UTC)

You should be able to adjust your email address in your ncrunch.net account settings - http://www.ncrunch.net/User/MyAccount. Once you visit the forum, the notification address in the forum will update itself with your new address. If you like, drop a post when you've done this and I'll reply to see if the mail comes through. I've switched on logging at this end, so if it fails again then hopefully we'll have a clear path to resolve this.
yanglee
#5 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 12:15:07 PM(UTC)

Just changed my email address from *@live.com to *@gmx.com.
Remco
#6 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2013 10:04:34 PM(UTC)

Ping. Did you receive a notification on this message?
yanglee
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:12:15 AM(UTC)

Nope, I also checked junk mail box, not there also.
Remco
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:43:30 AM(UTC)

How about now?
yanglee
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:27:19 AM(UTC)

Works now. Received notification from forum@ncrunch.net :)
Remco
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:30:43 AM(UTC)

Excellent :) It looks as though this was caused by the reply-to address. I'm not sure exactly which mail server kicked it out, but I'm glad it's fixed now.