Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

NCrunch in VS 2008: No spinner, no way to config marker style
DanHil
#1 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 6:12:51 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
For the current project, I am stuck with VS 2008 (yikes!). While I am very happy that NCrunch generally works with VS 2008 I noted two things, with the first one being more than just cosmetics:

- The spinner in the status bar is missing. I always have to have the tests or risk window open to even know if a test is failing.
- I have no ability to configure the marker style. I always get the big round ones. However, they are too much "in-my-face", and I would like to use the small ones.

Are these known issues?
Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 7:10:50 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Daniel -

At the time of NCrunch's first beta release, VS2008 was already a fading memory, with very few users still making use of it. One of the big issues with VS2008 is that it uses a completely different UI structure to all later versions of Visual Studio, which meant that certain NCrunch features (such as marker customisations and the corner spinner), would need to be built twice in order to support this older version. As both these features were implemented well after the VS2010 release, it simply wasn't feasible to repeat the work for VS2008 as the cost would be 3x as high (WPF made these features much easier) and less than 2% of the NCrunch user base would see any benefit from it.

So I'm afraid that this is by design (see http://www.ncrunch.net/support/frameworks for the official line). NCrunch does still work with VS2008, but there are limitations around some of the UI features that you're likely to notice if you're downgrading from a later version of Visual Studio.

Cheers,

Remco

DanHil
#3 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 7:15:33 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thanks for your reply.
That's what I expected. I still posted it in the desperate hope that the problems were unknown and easy to fix :-)

As I said: I am happy NCrunch supports VS 2008 at all ;-)
1 user thanked DanHil for this useful post.
Remco on 8/16/2013(UTC)