Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Silverlight 5 and VS2013 RC
PureWeen
#1 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 1:29:05 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Doesn't seem to work... I get one of these

NCrunch: If you are experiencing problems in getting this project to build, have a look at http://www.ncrunch.net/d..._project-build-issues#0
System.Exception: Unable to retrieve property values from expression in build output: $(OutDir)$(TargetName)$(TargetExt)
at #=q5QSgrWOBQdaVuSYznIyBIYXKfguZKpmCXPr$6xAGpUafJaWb4b3KjNZ5BcXUQdQleUikWdnVqg35F7CtqY1EZA==.#=q619pqIGN5Bq1MWiKGMPkxd1LmUxSL8rficJ1SosULtE=(IList`1 #=qdzH$niFGV_Vo2i4iduBE4Q==)
at #=qHM3l$rbE2RrXQk0pt1qhqScgZB2AS3eQ3FXZMcybAdWxXcVjilJIudubDqzu5owju8r1tZ1n0NoFGTfvCkGv4w==.#=qJmtoHHn$aPRkq$Zu2DzxVb9obh7qo9v71REC$kRUQjQ=.#=q_xnv439uWBjaJ4D2ZAphUft_SOk2HrCD9RGtotggBymemizVQYRdeV6Zhsca3P$O(#=q4PMKT8cTPhPXa$zC6MVmBXqYujhWlkb0c22s_MMeUNyxggWLcJUAV0MvsJQpCwDTnSx1wY2jSricvS9KLdh$5w== #=qWb2RDVMvg43dTo55n0QkLw==)
at nCrunch.Common.ListExtensions.Do[T](IEnumerable`1 list, Action`1 action)
at #=qHM3l$rbE2RrXQk0pt1qhqScgZB2AS3eQ3FXZMcybAdWxXcVjilJIudubDqzu5owju8r1tZ1n0NoFGTfvCkGv4w==.#=qHUtOXeLCWuQFa0nr7fOMLkm058ULv9x1XJck3kpJE3PzIXdtNThO4ORmGuNzr599(IList`1 #=qhA2j3vqZdjKU8XjCMXUCyQ==)
at #=qyAZoixYUzHVhAqUcoyaHTwcxJ1BLzXInt4$55TUJq7kMVkdySd$8tzYp_CnnD__I.#=qxRI3FKIYAcj6OBPJ$QCsFwbs48piism6_l9MJevHF1zPsu85IY1n5v4w1SWs8$nZ(IList`1 #=qMANeVPW3hi_qpeptKAL5wg==)
at nCrunch.Compiler.RemoteBuildRunner.Build(ComponentBuildParameters parameters
)

I followed this thread here
http://forum.ncrunch.net...--no-build-message.aspx
without any luck

I have the latest NCrunch installed and I've tried everything listed at that forum post (except I didn't run that tool since it was labeled with VS2012)

The NCrunch plugin and everything works just fine in VS 2012 but it doesn't in VS 2013 RC :-(

I tried deleting all my ncrunch related data from the directory just in case there was some sort of conflict but that didn't resolve it.
I also just tried creating a completely new SL project completely independent of my existing project and it gave me the same exception

I checked my project XML root
<Project ToolsVersion="4.0" DefaultTargets="Build" xmlns="(- BROKEN LINK -)">
Which seems to match the specified fix

Thoughts?
Remco
#2 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 2:55:52 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi,

Thanks for sharing this issue.

The problem you've described is an error NCrunch gives when the behaviour of the underlying build process is not as expected. NCrunch is then unable to identify the location of the assembly output from the build.

Is there any chance you could submit a bug report after this has happened to you? I'd like to examine the log file to check for any obvious problems.

Something else that would be worth trying is to manually run MSBuild.exe against the project file NCrunch has constructed in its workspace for this project. This will help with narrowing things down and may bring up some useful information. Try the following:
1. Load up NCrunch, let the build fail.
2. Right click on the project that has failed build in the Tests Window, choose Advanced->Browse to workspace
3. Search through the workspace to find the project file NCrunch has copied/generated for your project
4. Open a command prompt to this directory
5. Run MSBuild.exe against this file (you may need to configure path information - MSBuild can normally be found at C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319)
PureWeen
#3 Posted : Monday, October 7, 2013 5:15:53 PM(UTC)

Alright I submitted it and named it
"Silverlight 5 and VS2013 RC "

I tried to include the contents of what I'd typed above but there was something it didn't like.. It kept saying error check internet connection. So I eventually reduced it down to something that sent.

I'd tried that last night and it built fine with MSBuild
I also tried putting it into compatibility mode and adding that PropertyGroup (Replacing MYProjectName of course)
<PropertyGroup Condition="$(NCrunch) == '1'">
<OutDir>bin</OutDir>
<TargetName>MyProjectName</TargetName>
<TargetExt>.DLL</TargetExt>
</PropertyGroup>

The same project also builds just fine in VS2012
Remco
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:18:13 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Thanks for submitting the report. I've managed to reproduce this issue.

The root of the problem is an toolset incompatibility between v12 and v4 of MSBuild (v12 was newly introduced in VS2013). MSBuild works around this issue through binding redirections that force the Silverlight build tasks to use the correct version of the MSBuild assemblies. For some reason, these binding redirections don't seem to function properly under NCrunch. I'm still investigating why this is the case in the hope of releasing a proper fix.

Meanwhile, I may be able to suggest a workaround:

1. Set the 'Use hosted task runner' NCrunch global configuration setting to 'False'
2. Go to the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Remco Software\NCrunch for Visual Studio 2013
3. Open the file called 'nCrunch.TaskRunner40.x86.exe.config' in notepad
4. Replace the content of this file with:

Code:
<?xml version ="1.0"?>
<configuration>
    <configSections>
        <section name="msbuildToolsets" type="Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.ToolsetConfigurationSection, Microsoft.Build.Engine, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" /> 
    </configSections>
    <startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
        <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.5.1"/>
    </startup>
    <runtime>
		<legacyUnhandledExceptionPolicy enabled="1" />
        <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
            <dependentAssembly>
                <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Build.Framework" publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a" culture="neutral"/>
                <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-99.9.9.9" newVersion="12.0.0.0"/>
            </dependentAssembly>
            <dependentAssembly>
                <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Build.Engine" publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a" culture="neutral"/>
            </dependentAssembly>
            <dependentAssembly>
                <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Build" publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a" culture="neutral"/>
            </dependentAssembly>
            <dependentAssembly>
                <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.CompactFramework.Build.Tasks" publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a" culture="neutral"/>
                <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-99.9.9.9" newVersion="9.0.0.0"/>
            </dependentAssembly>
        </assemblyBinding>
    </runtime>
</configuration>

5. Restart Visual Studio

I'm keen to hear if this does the trick!

Cheers,

Remco
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
PureWeen on 10/8/2013(UTC)
PureWeen
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:14:00 PM(UTC)

That did the trick :-)

Thank you for the quick workaround