Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Since upgrade to 1.47 handling of test display changed
simmdan
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:12:45 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I've been using NCrunch for some time now with great success. Thanks for such a wonderful product!

One of the features I've depended on for a while is the ability to customize engine modes. I modified the default run all tests automatically mode so that it runs all tests except those marked with a particular testcategory that I have put on integration tests that I only want to run manually on occasion because they require manual setup / have side effects.

Prior to upgrading to 1.47 a few days ago, tests that were filtered out by the customized engine mode did not show up in the ncrunch tests list except possibly in the ignored count. This was great, because I normally set the ncrunch tests window to show only unexecuted and failed tests so I can see stuff in progress and things that need attention because they failed. If I add a new integration test I just put the appropriate test category attribute on it and ncrunch leaves it alone.

Since upgrading to 1.47 a few days ago, however, the tests which are filtered by the testcategory and my engine customization show up in the ncrunch tests list with status impacted, pending or something like that and the only way to get them to disappear is to explicitly go to each one and ignore it.

Is there any way to get back to something more like the old behavior? I'm guessing that the new behavior is a product of a bug fix and the old behavior was an unintended consequence of some bug, but the scenario is one that I use every day, so if there's some other way to achieve removing the noise of those integration tests from what I have to look at regularly or if there's some new setting that could be added to do the filtering I want, that would be great.

Thanks,
Danny
Remco
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:13:20 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Danny, thanks for sharing this issue, and I'm glad you're enjoying the product!

As far as I'm aware, the 1.47 release didn't contain any fixes or changes in the area of the tests window. The ability to apply engine mode filters to the data shown here has never been a feature of NCrunch, so I think that perhaps something else is going on here.

Is it possible you had a search filter or some kind of visual setup in the tests window that was selectively blocking these out? Note that it is possible to ignore tests on multiple levels - i.e. you can ignore a whole fixture or even a project. Could your previous setup have made the tests ignored so that the 'Ignored test' filter on the window was hiding them?

The upcoming V2 release will contain a new visibility mode that will allow tests to be grouped by categories. I realise this doesn't help you now, but I thought it might be useful to know that something is coming that will help your situation by design.
simmdan
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:33:13 PM(UTC)

My integration tests are actually scattered through various test projects in my solution rather than being grouped in a way that would make them easy to filter, so I don't think that was the case. I do have some memory, though, which I think was from a significantly earlier version of the product where I had to do some kind of configuration gymnastics to make it so that integration tests had never once been run by ncrunch and if that was the case they wouldn't show up in the tests window. So if I could get the engine customization setup properly before I ever loaded the projects that had integration tests so that the filter was in place from the beginning then the integration tests wouldn't show up, but if somehow one of them was run by ncrunch and then the engine customization turned on, then they would appear forever until I ignored them or something like that.

Maybe I just ran into a problem when I upgraded where some of these tests were run once and then made it into some kind of persisted cache. I don't know.

For now I have manually ignored all the integration tests so they aren't in my face all the time, and I'll look forward to the v2 feature.

- Danny
Remco
#4 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2013 1:50:08 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Danny,

I may just be echoing what you've already told me, but I think I have a theory on how this may have been set up for you. Is it possible that you had the Tests Window filter set to not show tests that haven't been executed before? If this is the case, then everything makes sense - because the integration tests would have been screened out by the engine mode, and they just wouldn't show up in the list. Your faster unit tests would have been run immediately on detection, and would show up with a pass/fail result.

It's probably not what I'd recommend as a stable situation, but such a setup could be very easy to replicate. If you delete the contents of your _NCrunch_Solution cache directory, you'll clear out all the cached data and execution results for all your tests. This means all tests will be flagged as unexecuted. Assuming you only use your custom engine mode and you never try to run the integration tests manually, they'll stay flagged as unexecuted and won't show up in the Tests Window.
simmdan
#5 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2013 3:18:16 AM(UTC)

By tests window filter being set not to show tests that haven't been executed before, do you mean the eyeball/question mark icon on the toolbar at the top of the tests window? The one whose tooltip says "Show unexecuted tests"? If so, sadly this theory doesn't pan out because I normally leave that option enabled so that they are shown.

I sort of feel like there is an implicit behavior like that which I have encountered in the past, but maybe I'm wrong. In any case, thanks for your help.

- Danny