Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Run Engine Mode *ONLY* Tests
Micah71381
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2013 4:07:53 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I am in the process of migrating a bunch of old, not terribly maintainable, tests over to a new way of doing things. The new tests are in a different project and I have setup an Engine Mode to filter out the old test project.

I would like a way to be able to switch to the aforementioned Engine Mode and then do a "resynchronize" that doesn't ignore my filter. Basically, I want the selected Engine Mode to not only apply to automatically run tests but to the "run all" as well. Effectively, I want the Engine Mode to do the same thing as Ignoring a bunch of tests would do.

The reason I want this is because I want to be able to see what my code coverage is like for the new test project without having to ignore (and then unignore) my old tests (which should continue to be run regularly when I am not specifically working on the migrating tests. Also, while I am working on the project of migrating tests I want to disable the automatic running of the old tests.

To reproduce:
  1. Setup a new project.
  2. Setup two tests that cover two different parts of a project, each with a different test category or something.
  3. Setup an Engine Mode that filters out one of the two tests (by category or something).
  4. Click the "Resynchronize" button.
  5. --> Notice that your code coverage still shows the tests that are filtered out by the Engine Mode.
Remco
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2013 5:00:29 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for sharing this idea.

I think that what I'd like to do in this particular situation is look specifically at your objective, and share some information on other planned features that may help you to achieve this:

- The upcoming V2 release has a feature that allows you to perform custom grouping of tests in the Tests Window. This includes the ability to group by category, which could potentially be used to easily run all tests of a specific category.
- There is a tentative plan to adjust the 'Show code coverage for selected test only' so this feature can be used on more than one test at a time. This means it'll be possible to restrict code coverage display to entire groups or categories of tests.
- There is a planned task to adjust the Metrics Window so that when code coverage is set to show for a specific test (or a number of tests), the metrics will also be affected by this. This should make it easy to see the coverage of your legacy tests vs new tests.
- There are also engine mode upgrades tentatively planned which would allow code coverage display to be restricted to only tests that match the 'automatic execution' filter. This was intended mostly for the 'Run pinned tests only' mode, but I see no reason why it couldn't be used for others.

I'm afraid I cannot share any hard information on when these features will be available (except for the first one, which is already implemented in V2 due to launch soon). Their introduction will depend largely on implementation detail, time available etc, But I hope you find this helpful.

Cheers,

Remco