Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Invalid file name in .resx causes builds to stop working indefinitely
perlun
#1 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 1:50:01 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi,

If I rename a file which is an Embedded Resource, and then included in a .resx file, NCrunch gets unhappy with me. It gives the error below:

Quote:
Invalid Resx file. Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\plundberg\AppData\Local\NCrunch\5832\38\Modules\eCraft.MFormsAddonsPlatform.Tests\integrationtests\ruby\add_columns_example.rb'. Line 123, position 5.

However, I have already fixed the issue and the project builds successfully. But if I press Rebuild Selected Component in NCrunch Tests, it still fails. (?)
I have to press the Resynchronize button to get NCrunch to realize that the project is buildable again.

This is a bit annoying since it is my first day evaluating NCrunch and I've already ran into the problem twice. :) Any suggestions?
Remco
#2 Posted : Monday, November 25, 2013 10:29:41 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for sharing this issue! It definitely isn't by design. I'm wondering if you might be able to provide me with step by step instructions to reproduce it? If it's possible to recreate, I hope it should be an easy fix.

Cheers,

Remco
perlun
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2013 12:23:05 PM(UTC)

Remco;4829 wrote:
Hi, thanks for sharing this issue! It definitely isn't by design. I'm wondering if you might be able to provide me with step by step instructions to reproduce it? If it's possible to recreate, I hope it should be an easy fix.

Cheers,

Remco

Hi Remco,

Something like this:

1) Add an Embedded Resource (.resx) to the project
2) Rename the .resx file (or move it to the Properties folder).

For me, this stops the NCrunch:ing goodness, as described above. This is with version 1.x btw, haven't had the chance to upgrade yet.

Best regards,
Per
Remco
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:28:31 PM(UTC)

Thanks Per. Sadly, these steps didn't seem to reproduce the problem for me.

Does it still happen consistently for you? If so, can you submit a bug report straight after it's happened?

Also - which version of Visual Studio are you running?

Cheers,

Remco
perlun
#5 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 9:55:32 AM(UTC)

Remco;4856 wrote:
Thanks Per. Sadly, these steps didn't seem to reproduce the problem for me.

Does it still happen consistently for you? If so, can you submit a bug report straight after it's happened?

Also - which version of Visual Studio are you running?

Cheers,

Remco

Hi,

I am using VS2013. I haven't seen the error so much any more. We close for now, will let you know if/when I encounter it again will full repro instructions. Thanks.

Best regards,
Per
Remco
#6 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 10:16:15 AM(UTC)

Thanks again. Feel free to submit a bug report the very moment you notice it happen. I have a feeling that this is a synchronisation problem in the engine being somehow triggered by the rename. If you can send through the bug report very soon after it happens, the log file may give me enough information to reproduce and fix it.
perlun
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:21:18 PM(UTC)

Remco;4859 wrote:
Thanks again. Feel free to submit a bug report the very moment you notice it happen. I have a feeling that this is a synchronisation problem in the engine being somehow triggered by the rename. If you can send through the bug report very soon after it happens, the log file may give me enough information to reproduce and fix it.

Hi,

I've now managed to reproduce it. Try this:

1) Add a .resx file
2) Add a file WITHIN the .resx file (using the "Files" view). The file should be a part of the project
3) Rename the file. The .resx will now be invalid, and NCrunch will not be able to build the project.
4) Remove the file from the .resx file.
5) Re-add it.

After these steps, my NCrunch 1.0 does not detect that the project is now buildable again, forcing a re-sync. Can you repro?
Remco
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 11:28:10 PM(UTC)

Hi, thanks for these steps!

I can reproduce the problem, but only if I avoid saving the .resx after I re-add the file at the end. When the file is saved, NCrunch picks up the saved file on disk and is back in sync again. Does this match your experience?