Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Metrics 'Export to file'
playtime
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:52:04 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

We would like to feed a system such as Sonar to visualise code coverage statistics over time. Also, it is a chore to explain why the metrics generated by MS Test and NCrunch are different to various stakeholders.

There are several hurdles to that at the moment.

1. A structured xml format would be simpler to parse than column-delimited.

2. Particularly annoying - you have to remember to hit 'Expand All' before 'Export To File' or you just get a single line summary for the solution. Please could this button export everything? Or add an 'Export All To File' button?

3. Finally, we cannot automate the gathering of these metrics (partly VS's fault for removing macros' but that's not the ideal solution anyway). I'm open to suggestions on this. As it's a continuous test runner and will not be integrated with a build server, we currently have to generate and save these files manually. Some form of regular automated file generation would suffice.

1+2 would get us a lot closer. As I said in 3, I don't really have a solution in mind.

Cheers.
Remco
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:54:01 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback! The original export system was built off the export capabilities of the tree list component used to display the data. This component unfortunately had many limitations, and it was replaced in the v2.0 release. As there is now a new component there, I don't see why this couldn't be further improved. A proper XML/CSV format export shouldn't be difficult to create.

Right now I'm not really sure how best to tackle the idea of automating the export of Metrics data. I think this is something to perhaps look at as a future opportunity for NCrunch if it ever progresses beyond being a VS plugin. Most likely this would require a console application of some kind.

Thanks again,

Remco