Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Unsual project setup
SteveTaylor
#1 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 10:37:48 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hello all,

My client uses a non standard build setup. It runs via batchfiles and was not setup in Dev studio.

In order to use the Dev studio interface created a build project and configurrf the build options to run the batch file with the relevant parameters. Therefore the project name is unrelated to the produced exes and several of the projects produce many exes and dlls.

I tried to implement NCrunch for it by creating a dummy project, setting the build command as above and adding all of the source files in. However, the processing queue returns a fail with the Unable to find built assembly error.

It claims to have checked a dictory for the file ProjectName.exe but this file is never created. When building the project it produces scores of exes and dlls but the project name I used to allow me to use the Dev studio interface is unrelated to them, there is no one specific key exe as our system is divided into many independant components.

Does NCrunch support this kind of system?
Remco
#2 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 11:16:16 AM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Steve, thanks for posting!

I'm afraid that NCrunch wasn't designed to be able to deal with heavily customised builds such as this. The features it provides exist basically through close manipulation of the build process, so there are certain assumptions that it makes about build operation (such as a single project emitting a single assembly file). You may find it impossible to get NCrunch to work with this kind of project without making large changes to the way your build system works.

When NCrunch executes a build, it interrogates MSBuild for the name of the assembly output from this build. The property combination it uses to find this assembly is $(OutDir)$(TargetName)$(TargetExt) .. Should the assembly not be found using these properties, NCrunch will revert to 'best effort' mode where it attempts to find the assembly using a wide range of different possible combinations, all of which are based off the $(AssemblyName) value.

If you're able to adjust the batch files to align the output assembly name with the above search logic, NCrunch should be able to locate the assembly. However, you'll still need to split the projects so they only output one file each. As it sounds like your build process was built manually from scratch, I'm also not sure whether you may encounter further issues beyond this as NCrunch has only seen extensive testing around normal build processes built using the Visual Studio templates.
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
SteveTaylor on 12/16/2013(UTC)
SteveTaylor
#3 Posted : Monday, December 16, 2013 11:43:27 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Rats :-(

I am doubt the client would be happy with me modifying the build process. It is a huge system spanning thousands of files and has grown like this over 30 years and it works well apart from this scenario.

Never mind, thanks for the quick reply.