Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

SpecFlow with SpecRun - Build doesn't work in NCrunch
dmarcial
#1 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 12:05:44 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Remco,

we purchased a couple of licenses for out project and are happy so far with the 2.x betas, too.

We also use NCrunch with SpecFlow and it works great with MSTest, NUnit, and xUnit test runners - it is just great to see the coverage markers in gherkin plain text files.

We also want to use SpecRun as a runner but unfortunately it does not work at the moment.

NCrunch cannot build as it does not find the correct targets file:

..\packages\SpecFlow.1.9.0\tools\TechTalk.SpecFlow.targets (47)#0: Unable to find plugin in the plugin search path: SpecRun. Please check http://go.specflow.org/doc-plugins for details.

That very web page btw. does not help, but I can see that the relative paths for the SpecRun plugin are not found. I do not know whether some work on the SpecRun side might be needed.

The configuration is as follows (works in VS 2013 Test Runner):

<configuration>
<configSections>
<section name="specFlow" type="TechTalk.SpecFlow.Configuration.ConfigurationSectionHandler, TechTalk.SpecFlow" />
</configSections>
<specFlow>
<unitTestProvider name="SpecRun" />
<plugins>
<add name="SpecRun" />
</plugins>
</specFlow>
</configuration>

If you take out the plugins tag and change the unitTestProvider to either "NUnit", "MsTest" or "xUnit" and install the NuGet packages for the appropriate framework then NCrunch will work like expected.
There is also a setting "SpecRun+MsTest" and "SpecRun+NUnit" that gives you access to both runners, but the build still fails due to the SpecRun plug-in.

You should perhaps consider contacting Gaspar of TechTalk is you need something changed in either SpecFlow or SpecRun. Does not seem like a big deal.
If you need a sample solution you can contact me so I can send it to you.

Best
Dan
1 user thanked dmarcial for this useful post.
qujck on 9/2/2015(UTC)
Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 11:08:01 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi Dan -

Thanks for letting me know about this. I wasn't aware that SpecFlow had its own custom test framework (SpecRun) available as an option .. as most people seem to use it with either NUnit or MSTest. No plans exist at the moment to add support for this. I'll add it to the supported frameworks page to avoid misleading others. Sorry for the trouble.

Cheers,

Remco
0liver
#3 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2014 6:40:54 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello Dan,

how did you work around this error? Is the only way to get NCrunch compile the particular project to uninstall SpecRun from it?

Would be glad to hear what you did about this annoyance.

Regards,
Oliver