Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Possible Memory leak in nCrunch 1.35b?
rikrak
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:22:40 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I've been using nCrunch for a few weeks now, and I think it's fab!

I'm noticing that I'm experiencing a few instances of VS2010 crashing, and it would appear to be related to an ever increasing memory usage. The failure usually occurs around the point where VS reaches ~2Gb in private bytes.

Is anyone else seeing this behaviour?

This could be specific to my installation as I'm also running Resharper 6. I suspect this is either nCrunch or ReSharper related as no one else in my team is experiencing this behaviour, and I'm currently the only one with this addins enabled.

rikrak
MrClyfar
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:11:26 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi rikrak.

First thing I'd try is running VS without R# 6 (I know it will be painful :) and see what the memory usage is.

If there's no change, then it could be an issue with NCrunch, but that would need further analysis.

Also have you tried the latest Resharper 6.1 EAP? http://confluence.jetbra...rper+6.1+Nightly+Builds

Give it a go and see if the memory usage improves.

Cheers.
Jas.
rikrak
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:40:31 PM(UTC)

Hi,

I suspended R# 6 and restarted VS2010 this morning. So far VS hasn't crashed, which is great. There is still a gradual rise in the private bytes associated with the VS process, but it is nowhere near as fast as when R# is activated.

I'd say that R#6 has been responsible for the recent crashing behaviour I've experienced, although the gradual rise in private byres is still indicative of a memory leak of some sort, so there may well be another issue to be resolved. Whether that's in nCrunch remains to be seen :-)

rikrak
Remco
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:26:37 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1256 time(s) in 1169 post(s)
Hi rikrak,

Thanks for posting. I'm not aware of any serious memory leaks in NCrunch or in R# (though not sure about the EAP releases), though both plug-ins can be quite heavy in the areas of memory usage. NCrunch is very careful about not using too much memory in the host VS process, though it can be quite hungry in its task runners depending upon the tests you're running. There is an article in the NCrunch wiki that describes some ways of minimising this (though you will pay a price in terms of performance). I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Remco