Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Is logging to a file available?
ahardin
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:06:11 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Is ncrunch logging to a file, or is there a way to have it do this?

I am currently having issues where Visual Studio 2012 crashes occasionally. When it crashes, there is a brief dialog, but then VS and the dialog close. I'm suspecting it might be a unit test causing the issue. The only thing I've been able to catch during a crash is "multiple calls to dispose". It shows a stack trace, but I haven't been able to catch anything in it.

Another way for me to troubleshoot would be to look at the test folder, but I'm not sure where ncrunch even runs them. I've just been happy letting it run and do its magic. :)

I am currently running 2.3.0.15.
Remco
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:30:52 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for posting!

NCrunch is fairly religious about catching exceptions and reporting them in its own trace log. Because of its size and constant rate of change, the trace log is only stored in memory. Any crash that brings down the whole IDE is doubly evil - not just because its a fault in the product, but also because it's appeared in a place the error handling hasn't managed to trap it.

I think it's unlikely the crash is being caused by the execution of a specific test, at least, in a functional sense. Tests are always run in isolation outside of the IDE, which means that when they bug out, you should receive the crash report from a different process.

It's been a long time since I've seen a functional issue from NCrunch crash out the IDE without the error trapping kicking in. Possibly this is a complex issue involving one or more of the following:

- Memory issues (i.e. heavy memory consumption causing the process to run out of memory)
- Disk space issues
- Instability in the IDE (can be caused by unstable VS packages, warped VS installation, etc)

When the IDE crashes, is there any chance you can attach a debugger and grab out a stack trace? I hope the dying instance gives you enough time to do this. Otherwise we may need to try and solve this problem deductively (i.e. by progressively uninstalling things until its gone).

Cheers,

Remco
1 user thanked Remco for this useful post.
ahardin on 1/31/2014(UTC)
ahardin
#3 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 12:19:43 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the extra info. I had a feeling NCrunch was probably not the cause, since I had been running 2.3 without any issues before the crashes started. Since it is unlikely the crash is being caused by a test, that helps rule out NCrunch.

There are a couple of other extensions that may be the culprit, so I'll start by clearing out any newer extensions I've installed. (NCrunch is just too good to go without! :D)
Remco
#4 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 1:10:18 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Thanks! Do let me know if you trace anything back to NCrunch or need any more help.