Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

NCrunch complaining about processor mismatch for a file that isn't being referenced by the project
delliottg
#1 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 3:36:34 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I have a project that has been created by branching an existing project in SVN. I'm working locally on my machine using VS 2010, NCrunch version 2.4.0.2, and NUnit 2.6.3.

NCrunch appears to be referencing an earlier version of the solution (V2) in my user directory, when I'm working on V3 in a different directory. The specific error is:

WARNING - ..\..\..\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets (1605)#0: There was a mismatch between the processor architecture of the project being built "MSIL" and the processor architecture of the reference "C:\Users\dgonsalves\AppData\Local\NCrunch\10556\15\ServiceHeijunkaV2\bin\Debug\ServiceHeijunkaV2.exe", "x86". This mismatch may cause runtime failures. Please consider changing the targeted processor architecture of your project through the Configuration Manager so as to align the processor architectures between your project and references, or take a dependency on references with a processor architecture that matches the targeted processor architecture of your project.

I am working on the solution in an entirely different directory and have fixed the processor mismatch from the earlier code in the current project (everything is set to "ANY CPU" in configuration manager). I have also insured that the solution is being built with .NET 4.

I'm tempted to simply delete or rename the NCrunch directory because it's not even pointing at the V3 version of the project. Is there a simpler way to fix this? I've tried disabling and re-enabling NCrunch, same error, closed & re-opened the project in VS 2010, same error.
Remco
#2 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 9:12:32 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Hi, thanks for sharing this issue.

I think the first thing to try would be to move your V2 codebase to a different location on disk. If there are references from anywhere in the V3 code that touch the V2 code, this would cause them to break (thus highlighting any dependency).

Making any changes to the code inside the workspace that NCrunch has constructed won't help with solving this problem. The code is shadowed and derived from your foreground solution, so trying to force it to behave will at best give you a maintenance heavy solution that will work inconsistently, and more likely just make it harder to find the root problem.

My suspicion is that there is an absolute file reference in here somewhere. It's possible that this is being done at project level (check the ProjectReference tags inside your build XML).

I also recommend having a look at this troubleshooting page, which describes the rules defining how NCrunch chooses the build platform for your projects. This isn't the same logic as that followed by the IDE, so it's worth checking just to be sure everything is consistent as this is a common area for configuration problems.