Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Sharing The same project over Grid-Nodes
damageboy
#1 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 5:11:02 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,
I've just tried adding one of the test grid-nodes I've setup for NCrunch over a slow VPN connection.

Out of curiosity, does NCrunch "know" that the same project has already been loaded into a grid node from the local network?
It seems like the initialization was rather quick, and I don't think my poor DSL could have uploaded 300MB over VPN into our office... :)
Does NCrunch actually detect projects that have previously been uploaded in some magical way?
Remco
#2 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 9:51:06 PM(UTC)

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 1257 time(s) in 1170 post(s)
Yes! NCrunch keeps a snapshot store on the grid node full of recently uploaded projects. It will re-use these snapshots for new connections, so it won't need to upload files again.

It does also go through some pain to re-use files between snapshots. If you have a DLL that is used for several solutions, NCrunch will only copy this DLL up to the grid node once. As soon as the DLL has been uploaded and placed in the snapshot store, the grid node will simply copy it around locally as needed without using more bandwidth.

The uploading of files also uses compression, which is fairly effective as source code often compresses well.

One of the goals behind the distributed processing design was to allow it to work over a 3G connection.